My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Viewing recordings via NAS / Plex

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Am running Vista on my PC so I know that although I can set up a network share to the 4000T the files are not playable as they are still encrypted and need win 10 to get round this.
    I also have a Synology Nas with Plex running for remote TV / Android access to my music / photos / videos files.
    Is there a simple way to set up a network share on the NAS to the Humax recordings folder and then use Plex as a user interface on my TVs around the house for vieiwng the humax video files.

Thanks in anticipation if anyone can answer this.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 20:46:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't have the 4000T just the 1000s and the 2000T so can't answer your question directly. I do however have the Synology NAS and have attempted to use Plex directly to my Smart TV. However, my experience was less than positive as I like many other Synology owners have found the CPU insufficient for powering Plex.

You may be lucky and have one of the more powerful models but I gave up on it and rely instead on the DS video station app.

| Sat 27 Aug 2016 22:10:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Hi

I have the DS214PLAY with 2x3TB disc and Plex works fine for me for Video on my smart tv.
    I also use the DS apps too.

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 1:47:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

giverny - 12 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    I have the DS214PLAY with 2x3TB disc and Plex works fine for me for Video on my smart tv.
    I also use the DS apps too.

Mine is an earlier model and the Marvel CPU is unsupported for Plex. I two use 2X3TB HDD. I did get Plex to run but it brought the NAS to it's knees. However, none of this answers the OPs original question which I think in the end will be a NO.

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 14:16:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

giverny - 18 hours ago  » 
    Is there a simple way to set up a network share on the NAS to the Humax recordings folder and then use Plex as a user interface on my TVs around the house for vieiwng the humax video files.

IF you could set up a network share then how would you propose to deal with the fact that the recordings would still be encrypted?

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 15:10:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

giverny - 18 hours ago  » 

IF you could set up a network share then how would you propose to deal with the fact that the recordings would still be encrypted?

That's why I posted the question to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I understood when you create a network share to a windows 10 device, win10 and/or the humax handled the de-cryption issue and enabled playing SD files or have I misunderstood other posts ?

If so, I was just wondering if it was possible to do something similar when sharing to a NAS device and if anyone had managed to investigate and/or achieve this to set the NAS up as the media server, as Plex provides a much more user friendly interface than standard DLNA ?

Option B - persuade Humax to put Plex server on the 4000T but I can't see that ever happening !!!

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 17:09:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

giverny - 50 minutes ago  » 
    I understood when you create a network share to a windows 10 device, win10 and/or the humax handled the de-cryption issue and enabled playing SD files or have I misunderstood other posts ?

Is it a standard network share though? it appears in a separate folder and is only Windows 10 (so far). I guess it needs someone with more expertise than I have in networking to understand what is going on. My guess would be that it is somehow using the DLNA server on the Humax to do the decryption (which is the mechanism the custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 uses for most decryption tasks).

| Sun 28 Aug 2016 18:04:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

If anyone knows the answer ?

| Mon 29 Aug 2016 10:53:12 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.