My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Volume level

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

deneva

Have only had my HDR Fox T2 two days now,after mt trusty Topfield 5800 died of hard drive failure after almost 9 years trouble free service. I am impressed with the recording side of things,bitterly dissapointed though with the TV Portal,ITS A COMPLETE JOKE. I have a problem though which i also had with my Topfield, when switcing the PVR off and going back to the tv i find the volume level to loud, i have set the volume offset to max, but there is a huge difference in the volume between the PVR and TV. Can this be sorted at all,i really only wanted the PVR to record with and use the TV for normal programme watching.

| Sun 11 Dec 2011 23:52:08 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

Have you tried increasing the volume output from the Humax, the default is about half.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 12:36:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

voxmagna

I've had my Humax for two days so we may be in the same boat. See my first post because I had a serious problem with HDMI lockup. I eventually upgraded the firmware to latest 20 and I cannot bring back the fault yet.

Now I'm on to the volume issue which is the Humax as far as I'm concerned. I want my Pioneer plasma panel to be just a display device taking its inputs from the Humax, Playstation, Dvd and another. because the Humax has a much better and faster Freeview decoder and lightning fast MHEG text compared to my 6 year old Pioneer, I want to use the Humax exclusively for my TV viewing.

I can set up the Pioneer plasma for a preset sound level on the HDMI input and all my other boxes, including Pioneers internal Freeview decoder all output the same stereo sound level. I haven't actually measured it but I worked in TV broadcasting long enough to trust my ears.

But when I connect the Humax the sound level is at least 6dB or even 10dB down on the other boxes of different makes. I don't know what audio level standards Humax are using or what they are sending across the HDMI interface but they are not the same as 4 other high end consumer products.

I share your pain, because now I have to increase the display audio gain for an acceptable volume range from the Humax and when wifey switches back to the DVD or Playstation, I jump out of the chair with my eardrums stressed!

There must be a standard for all consumer devices sending audio across HDMI and I hope Humax will get theirs right. I would feel sorry for my neighbours if I shared or lived in a flat, as the change in volume between the Humax and other devices is huge. I also detect that Freeview sound from the Humax seems to have lost some top end compared to what I get from the Pioneer integrated Freeview receiver. I also noticed some video softness which fortunately I was able to lift up with the Pioneers excellent sharpness controls.

If there was an internal sound volume preset in the setup menu I could equalise the sound level. But I haven't found one and setting sound level with the remote to 1/2 to 2/3rd up the level bar for normal viewing doesn't feel right when other HDMI sources are under half way on their level bars.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 22:43:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

deneva

I did toy with the idea of just using the TV for the picture only,but its a new Sony with Internet use,and has far more on than the Humax Portal, You Tube and Iplayer on the Sony knock spots of the Humax versions. It looks like i will just have to learn to live with it,it was the same with our old Topfield but not as bad as the Humax. The recording side of the Humax is excellent,just let down by the setting niggles and usless Portal.

| Tue 13 Dec 2011 13:10:50 #4 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I hope you have not binned the Toppy. It can most likely be saved with a bit of TLC and found a new home.

| Tue 13 Dec 2011 14:25:27 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.