My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Weak Signal

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ironside82

Hi There,

I've just bought a Humax HDR-FOX T2 and the signal strength is really low,

I've checked the signal from the aerial in another TV and that is picking up every channel fine. When I reconnect the aerial back into the Humax Box it only finds a few channels.

I've email the guys at Humax and i've done all the manual scans and checks under the sun and still nothing.

Why does one tuner get a great signal and the humax not?

Is there something that I'm missing.

Thanks

James

| Fri 6 Jan 2012 15:36:17 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Can you not loop through the feed from TV to Humax? If you can, what kind of signal strength do you get?

Have you tried enabling the antenna power option on the Humax?

| Fri 6 Jan 2012 15:50:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ironside82

Ok Strange things happening now...

Unfortunately my TV does not have a loop through so just out of interest I looped the Aerial feed through the Humax and into the TVs Tuner and everything is fine.. So there is certainly a decent signal present at the Humax.

So I proceeded to connect the HDMI cable from the Humax to the TV with the loop through still in place. The instant the HDMI was plugged into the TV the signal dropped out (still monitoring the TV's Freeview tuner from the loop through at this point) and when I removed the HDMI cable the picture returned. So I tried hooking up the Composite feed from the Humax to the TV and did a Tune and all the channels appeared.

So, I'm guessing it a dodgy HDMI Cable.

| Fri 6 Jan 2012 19:15:14 #3 |
  4. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

Quote by son_t :- Have you tried enabling the antenna power option on the Humax?

This option supplies power onto the Co-ax cable to power a masthead amplifier, If you only have an aerial on the other end of the co-ax it won't help, It may also damage the Humax

| Sat 7 Jan 2012 1:06:44 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

ezra pound - 12 hours ago  » 

Quote by son_t :- Have you tried enabling the antenna power option on the Humax?

This option supplies power onto the Co-ax cable to power a masthead amplifier, If you only have an aerial on the other end of the co-ax it won't help, It may also damage the Humax

It may also give false signal strength readings of something like 100%. I have had several discussions on DS about the SD machines Antenna Power setting, unfortunately some people think it's a magic power boost setting.

| Sat 7 Jan 2012 13:34:36 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanDawes

[quote]"So I proceeded to connect the HDMI cable from the Humax to the TV with the loop through still in place. The instant the HDMI was plugged into the TV the signal dropped out (still monitoring the TV's Freeview tuner from the loop through at this point) and when I removed the HDMI cable the picture returned. So I tried hooking up the Composite feed from the Humax to the TV and did a Tune and all the channels appeared.

So, I'm guessing it a dodgy HDMI Cable."

Interference between HDMI and aerial cables often seems to be a problem not just with HUMAX PVRs. Ensuring the 2 cables are kept as far apart as possible sometimes helps, if not get a better shielded aerial cable and/or HDMI cable. If you use a SCART instead of HDMI cable then the problem shouldn't occur but this will be at the expense of picture and sound quality.

Alan

| Tue 10 Jan 2012 16:08:34 #6 |
  7. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

ezra pound - 3 days ago  » 

Have never damaged any of mine* - there's a power protect mechanism on the Humax boxes! Unlike, other boxes**, Humaxes are properly made - if they provide such an option, and it was prone to cause damage, they would provide protection.

It sounded, at the time, like the OP had such a masthead amplifier, so it was one troubleshooting idea. Although, I could have asked if he had such a masthead amp, I decided not to as if he had known he had one he would have already tried it and a gentle reminder would not have hurt (see above)!

Biggles - 3 days ago  » 
    I have had several discussions on DS about the SD machines Antenna Power setting, unfortunately some people think it's a magic power boost setting.

Some users on DS are numpties, unlike users here Best not to participate on those forums :p

*Or read of anyone doing so to their boxes either!
    **I would not have suggested doing this on a 3View box or even the DS.

| Tue 10 Jan 2012 16:57:59 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.