My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

What do you think of my Aerial Contractor's work?

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

OK, so a couple of installers have just visited to fix my intermittent Freeview channels, and I wanted an opinion of the work they’ve done.

To recap, I moved in a year ago and took the advice of Graham Thompson to fit a Vision V20-4260L mast head amplifier to recover missing channels from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter about 30 miles away, placing it just inside the loft. It worked a treat.

Then in March the 5G clearances led to a retune and Com7 & Com8 becoming the rather unreliable host to BBC4 HD and Channel 4 HD+1 etc. Phoning the Freeview helpline eventually led to them sending the pair of installers to do whatever was needed to restore the channels, at their cost. With my 20+ year old basic/contract aerial looking distinctly old against generally newer and more elaborate designs nearby, I was fully expecting a new aerial to be fitted.

One of the installers connected his meter (with small TV screen and costing a few £k he said) and quickly diagnosed 4G interference. I pointed out my masthead amp claims to screen this out, but he had little truck with this claim. His meter also said I was picking up Waltham, even further away than Sutton Coldfield to my surprise. So he went to the loft and inserted a 4G filter (see picture) between aerial feed and masthead input. He complimented my choice of masthead amp compared to the DIY store junk most people use. The yellow patch cable he used looks push-fit not F-type screw-on, is this a bodge?

Measuring again downstairs, he seemed to think there was still interference (could this be picked up by the descending coaxial cable after the masthead amp/filter?) so he fitted a second filter down there. After this, he pronounced success. The signal strength (from Humax HDR-2000T) was on some channels down at 4 out of 10 but quality for all was 10; he said to ignore these built in strength meters. He said that 4G masts vary their strength during the day; elsewhere I've read they’ve been upping their power to see what they can get away with without complaint.

Obviously, only time will tell if this is all successful. There is indeed a 4G mast a few hundred meters away, in the vague direction of the aerial. He said my strength (post masthead amp) was midway between 45 and 65dB range needed.

So, not a complaint, just a question for the experts: Was this a decent job/solution?

Attachments

1. Living_Room_4G_filter.jpg (98.8 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    2. Loft_4G_filter.jpg (89.6 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    3. Mast_Head_amp.jpg (92.7 KB, 5 downloads) 5 years old
    | Sat 30 Jun 2018 18:37:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The yellow F connector is a moulded on design, should be even more reliable than a screw on one. Picking up 4G on the downleads suggests the cable screening isn't very good. Best to use double screened sat grade cable like Webro WF100.

| Sun 1 Jul 2018 10:40:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Vision Products gear is the best that money can buy in the UK.

| Sun 1 Jul 2018 10:51:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Roy22

Thanks both for your replies and another affirmation for Vision products. The loft 4G filter was a fairly heavy die-cast thing and is marked 'Channel 60'; the downstairs one leading into the Humax was a lighter plastic affair marked 'Channel 59'. Build quality aside, is there any significance in the difference in marking?

The cable down from loft to living room is to me a very standard brown coax, certainly not awful or unduly thin. Is the suggestion of pickup in this (the reason for the second filter?) a reflection of poor cable quality or more the 4G mast being too close for comfort?

Beyond these questions, do you feel this is an OK job? Didn't cost me anything.

| Sun 1 Jul 2018 14:29:05 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Roy22 - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks both for your replies and another affirmation for Vision products. The loft 4G filter was a fairly heavy die-cast thing and is marked 'Channel 60'; the downstairs one leading into the Humax was a lighter plastic affair marked 'Channel 59'. Build quality aside, is there any significance in the difference in marking?
    The cable down from loft to living room is to me a very standard brown coax, certainly not awful or unduly thin. Is the suggestion of pickup in this (the reason for the second filter?) a reflection of poor cable quality or more the 4G mast being too close for comfort?
    Beyond these questions, do you feel this is an OK job? Didn't cost me anything.

Copper braid, Gold Foil Under, Copper Centre Core and foam dialectric

http://www.webro.com/coaxial/tv-satellite/wf100-cable/

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html#CoAxNextToMainsCable

Check any wall outlet plates are the screened type.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/products/mk-k3550whi-single-iec-male-coaxial-socket-fully-screened-non-isolated?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcSNv417q_vBIMef-Qzx52CL289Q9QN0WpYZIXgGCv9j1FDHJLOZHfBoCDTQQAvD_BwE

| Sun 1 Jul 2018 15:03:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mooperman

grahamlthompson - 1 month ago  » 
    The yellow F connector is a moulded on design, should be even more reliable than a screw on one.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I've only just noticed it.

That yellow connector doesn't look like an F connector to me at all. It looks like a standard TV coax (Belling-Lee) plug rammed onto the F socket?

| Thu 9 Aug 2018 19:48:14 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mooperman - 10 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 month ago  » 
    The yellow F connector is a moulded on design, should be even more reliable than a screw on one.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I've only just noticed it.
    That yellow connector doesn't look like an F connector to me at all. It looks like a standard TV coax (Belling-Lee) plug rammed onto the F socket?

Which one are you looking at ? The one on the masthead amplifier is a f connector. The one on the channel 60 filter is a standard Belling Lee.

You cannot possibly connect a Belling Lee connector to a F socket, the centre core is much larger. A F connector uses the centre core of the coax which is much smaller than a Belling Lee Plug male connector. It would be impossible to connect it.

http://www.webro.com/coaxial/tv-satellite/wf100-cable/

Yellow is a available colour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector

| Thu 9 Aug 2018 20:05:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There is a standard co-ax to F-connector adapter. I have used them. When I purchased my Vision Products amp/distributor it came with F-connections only. To avoid having to replace a bunch of co-ax connectors I bought these adapters.

| Thu 9 Aug 2018 20:18:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mooperman

Ah, ok so you can get push-on F connectors (an oxymoron if you ask me). Didn't realise such abominations existed.

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 12:24:33 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mooperman - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ah, ok so you can get push-on F connectors (an oxymoron if you ask me). Didn't realise such abominations existed.

They aren't push on F-connectors. They convert a f terminated coax to Belling Lee male or female plugs.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-adaptors-pack-of-10/33532

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-plugs-pack-of-10/39772

By far the best way to make up quality interconnects using WF100 satellite grade cable.

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 13:41:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.