My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

what to do with my new kit

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

Bought a bundle deal with the FVP 4000T and the H3.

Not that happy with it really.

I only have one TV at the moment, but I was hoping the Humax FVP 4000T had a web interface so I could control it from my laptop.

There's a really rubbish app which you can download to an iPhone but not my Windows mobile.

I've got the FVP in the loft because I have my TV mounted on the wall and I don't want a big AV setup in my lounge.

At the moment I have the H3 stuck behind the TV at the bottom (the IR remote works fine) but you can't browse the guide and decide what to record from the H3 so you have to deal directly with the FVP.

It looks a lot like using the FVP as a remote device is a bit pointless.

Am I missing something or is it really this resistant to remote administration?

I've seen you can browse the TV guide online and tell the FVP to record stuff. But there's no series-link for recording a series. There's no control of the library for deleting old stuff.

I'm thinking about getting a long HDMI cable and one of those infra-red repeater devices so I can use the FVP with my primary TV. Then I'll have the H3 free to use in other rooms in the future.

Anyone have any advice for setting up this stuff better? I can't see a better way of getting it to work.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 0:16:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,
    you don't mention whether you have network cable connecting the two or whether it's wifi?
    I'd imagine wifi would be a bit hit and miss from loft to (presumably) lounge depending where the router is. Home plugs would be another option if wifi is weak.
    The max length of hdmi cable is around 15m, I think 5m is normally accepted as good practice max length and it's easy to add a booster/switch/splitter etc. to extend or stabilise a weak hdmi signal.
    There are hdmi over ethernet adapters, also with built in IR extenders, but these tend to be expensive and I'd imagine difficult to find something that would be 100% reliable.

If you keep the box in the loft I would recommend some sort of remote live mains switch/plug/socket. You can pick up cheap remote control socket/adapters from most supermarkets (they're useful for when table lamps are plugged in behind cupboards/side-boards etc.). You will want to power off the fvp4000t every now and again to reset it. Obviously if you use the loft as normal living area this won't be a problem and neither will usb access or manual software updates.

I understand completely why you want to set it up this way, but having the fvp4000t somewhere in the same room as the TV would make life so much easier. It'll be interesting to see other suggestions as I can't think of any that I'd be completely happy with, even with a budget of several hundred.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 4:33:46 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I use this to feed a remote TV. Works like a dream it works with all my pvrs, Amazon Fire TV box and blu-ray player.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-HDMI-Extender-Single-Control-x/dp/B013T5IQH6/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1486114839&sr=8-26&keywords=hdmi+extender

There is a cheaper version but I have no personal experience with this model.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Esynic-Repeater-Ethernet-Function/dp/B00YC3BWL2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1486115050&sr=8-16&keywords=hdmi+extender

I have a AV receiver so that controls what you see on the remote TV. Without this you would need a HDMI matrix switch to use more than one box with it.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 10:44:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejenner

I ended up doing what I thought I was going to do.

Took the TV down off the wall, cut a channel into the chimney-breast, shoved in some plastic conduit, slapped a load of filler over it. Used a IR repeater to transmit the signal to the Humax and a 5m HMDI cable.

The FVP is connected to a router which is also in the loft. I've got all my gear up there as I'm not too keen on cables draping all over the place and sticking it all in the loft is ideal. I even convinced the BT guy to install my broadband up there, haha.

So the H3 is spare for use in a less important setting. Maybe in a bedroom or something.

Anyone know how to get Amazon Prime on the Humax?

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 21:27:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Try the thread two below yours ...

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 22:38:21 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.