My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

what's the best way to format in ext3?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

djahm

Hi. As I understand it, Humax will format an external hdd in ext3. However, is it better to format the drive using something like EASUS Partition or does it make any difference at all?

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 16:30:57 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Shouldn't make much difference either way. To be certain of compatibility I would let the Humax format it.

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 16:43:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

djahm

Many thanks for that.
    Also, I hear of people using a Gparted live iso (burned to a cdc and used as a boot) to format a hdd. Is this any better?

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 16:49:00 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

djahm - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks for that.
    Also, I hear of people using a Gparted live iso (burned to a cdc and used as a boot) to format a hdd. Is this any better?

I presume this is a Foxsat - you did not say. You will need to create multiple correctly sized partitions. The Humax will only format drives up to and including 1tb.

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 17:02:20 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

djahm - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks for that.

The only possible variation in a format is down to the block size used, that's down to the size specified by the user and relates to the maximum size of disc and maximum file size. Whatever you use to format if you use the same block size as the Humax does it won't make any difference. If you use the Humax then it will use the block size it's happy with. afaik it will only format up to 1TB, larger you have to do it yourself.

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 17:02:49 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 2 minutes ago  » 

djahm - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks for that.

I presume this is a Foxsat - you did not say. You will need to create multiple correctly sized partitions. The Humax will only format drives up to and including 1tb.

It's a HDR FOX T2 and a usb connected drive. Related thread

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/can-i-use-an-external-hdd-on-my-humax-and-my-laptop

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 17:06:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

djahm

As it happens its not a Foxsat and the hdd is 1TB, so your original info still stands. Many thanks

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 17:25:41 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.