My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

When recording - "no or bad signal"

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brendan

When I am recording on my Humax most but not all of the other stations indicate "no or bad signal". When I go back and stop recording and go back to the other staions the signal strength is 70 and the quality is 90. Any ideas?

| Sat 9 Jun 2012 10:53:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Brendan - 1 hour ago  » 
    When I am recording on my Humax most but not all of the other stations indicate "no or bad signal". When I go back and stop recording and go back to the other staions the signal strength is 70 and the quality is 90. Any ideas?

See http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/record-programme-cant-watch-another?quote=7071#postform

With only 1 cable and no loop only two channels on the same transponder (eg BBC-HD and BBC1-HD) can be handled by a single tuner

| Sat 9 Jun 2012 12:13:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brendan

I fitted the loop cable and everything is perfect now. Many thanks for the tip.

| Sat 9 Jun 2012 17:14:22 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bubbles

Hi,

I'm new on Humax forums although I've used the FOXSAT HDR for about 4 years. I'm on my second box now and am getting a similar problem to Brendan.

I have two LNB feeds from a communal system connected (surprisingly) to inputs 1 & 2. I will say now that they are cheap flyleads bought from local hardware shop, but they have been working for years.

About 4 days ago (when I was away) timer recordings started failing.

When I next turned on the box, I got the "No or Bad Signal" message on ALL channels. The next day I pulled everything apart, swapped cables around and remade the flylead connections very carefully and tightly.

Diagnostics gave me (and still does) about 95% on LNB1 and 100% on LNB 2. Then I got ALL my live channels back

However I now get the above mentioned "No or Bad Signal" on some channels when recording another. Some channels are skipped (as they used to be) but some report "No or Bad Signal"!! Pressing info shows no signal on either input.

As with Brendan, stopping the recording cures the signal problem.

I assume that it is a signal problem but how can I rule out (or in)those Flyleads?

Thanks

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 16:31:02 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You should never have channels not available when only recording one thing. Usually this symptom is caused by the box operating in single cable mode It assumes tuner 2 signal is derived from tuner 1 out.

Try the following

Goto channel 999 and check the signal strength and quality it reports. This is the Freesat home transponder and any lack of quality will afect the operation of your box. This may be down to a problem on your communal installation.

Try the following test.

Tune to BBC1-HD start a recording, tune to BBC-HD and start a second. Now try a selection of 3rd channels. You should be able to view any other and pause the 3rd channel live.

If not can you check the connection mode ?

Enter the setup menu and press RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE in succession

Look at the connection type in the revealed menu. It should be TwoCables(same). If wrong change the option or carry out a factory reset.

Lastly check the signal quality by choosing one channel from each transponder used by Freesat.

Download either the Excel Version or Web version of the transponder list from the links here

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 16:53:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bubbles

Thanks for such prompt reply.

I will check everything you mentioned after new cables arrive. I investigated further last night and one of the flyleads has gone faulty. I was able to confirm that the LNB feeds are both working OK tho.

I have ordered a couple of OFC gold plated cables to replace them.

I will let you know what the result is.

| Thu 26 Jul 2012 10:40:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bubbles

all OK now. The new cables did the trick. I can't get the secret menu to display tho. Can you explain it to me?

| Mon 30 Jul 2012 21:11:53 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bubbles - 2 days ago  » 
    all OK now. The new cables did the trick. I can't get the secret menu to display tho. Can you explain it to me?

Open the Setup menu as if you were going to change something.

Without looking at the screen press the following in succession.

RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE.

| Thu 2 Aug 2012 9:27:56 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.