My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Where are the technical primers for HD channels?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

I recorded an episode of Peep Show from 4HD last night. The quality is excellent but the file is too large and the join between the parts where I cut out the commercial breaks causes my favourite players to skip so it's not really up to standard yet. Therefore I want to transcode with a lower bitrate (around 3000kb/s is fine for a show like this) using MeGUI but whenever I do the resulting video is glitchy.

The problem seems to be that MeGUI can't detect the format properly and therefore can't transcode correctly. I'm not asking for help with MeGUI because that's not what this forum is for, I just wondered if there's a way to find out exactly how the videos are when it comes to the HD channels on Freesat. I don't know where to look and I don't expect anyone to have an answer, but if anyone does have an idea of what I'm talking about tips/links would be appreciated.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 18:27:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

zeke - 44 minutes ago  » 
    I just wondered if there's a way to find out exactly how the videos are when it comes to the HD channels on Freesat.

Not sure I understand your phrase "how the videos are" but if you want information about the format of the video and audio streams in an HD recording then install the freeware program MediaInfo on your PC.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 19:21:33 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I presume you must have recorded using non-freesat to be able to use the recordings at all.

Medianinfo tree view will tell you all about the file contents.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

In brief it will be 1920 x 1080 interlaced H264/AVC compressed, ac3 primary audio track (5.1 or 2.0) in a transport stream container with an average bitrate of about 8000kbps.

Best software to edit out the ads is Videoredo TVsuite H264 version. It's not free but there is a trial period.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 19:26:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Oh I'm fast with the remote, there are no ads.

I just couldn't get MeGUI to play nice with the content at all: it wouldn't detect the video format correctly and all encodes had what appeared to be severe telecine judder due to whatever pulldown was used to get the show from film to 1080i50 broadcast standard.

However, Handbrake had no such issues. Got it right first time with a short preview, then I did a full encode with a slightly tweaked High Profile setting. While the original summed TS files had a stutter where the join between the two parts was and the file size was about 1.67GB, shrunk with Handbrake there's only a very small glitch where the join was and the file size with just the AC3 audio track is 561MB, around scene size I guess.

I did not have any luck trying to convert the bitmap subtitles from SUP to SRT or some other text based format though. I had one of those annoying periods where you want one program to do this simple job and end up downloading dozens of freeware ones only to find none of them get it right. At all. Something of a shame, but at least the video is in great shape and not too big.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 18:25:36 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.