My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Which Humax?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian_E

I need a new TV recorder and am considering a Humax for recording Freeview. There seem to be quite a few and I find it hard to chose between them.
    I assume that the FVP-4000T is the latest model but the spec is quite brief and I can't tell if it would be suitable.
    I don't need to record HD TV, with my eyesight I can rarely tell the difference!
    Up to now, I've been recording programmes on my desktop computer and often transfer them to my laptop for viewing when I'm away from home. I suspect that this won't be possible although the spec says there are two USB sockets. What are they for?
    There seem to be quite a few models, I'm not interested in Netfix and have never used catch-up TV. Would another model suit?
    Any advice would be welcome.

| Wed 22 Mar 2017 21:10:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Brain_E, just a few couple of comments rather than a full answer.

When a freeview/youview recorder is described has 'HD' it means more than just being able to receive and record HD programmes. An increasing number of standard channels are using a more modern technology and if you don't have an HD recorder/receiver you won't be able to watch these standard definition channels.
    Currently those standard definition channels are restricted to some of the less popular ones but eventually all channels are expected to go that way leaving HD receivers and recorders. The transition will be over a number of years but eventually the more popular standard definition channels will require TVs/boxes to have freeview HD capability.

Yes the FVP-4000T is the latest model. It does have the capability of exporting standard definition recordings for playing on other devices, either via a USB memory HDD/stick or for some via FTP. I don't own a FVP-4000T so if that feature interest you hopefully someone else will say about the FTP side or point you in the right direction for the current situation with the latest FVP-4000T software and FTP.

You may have to explain a bit more about what you mean by 'suitable' if you want to obtain comments more honed to what you consider 'suitable'!

| Thu 23 Mar 2017 11:09:08 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Luke has summed it up nicely.

Question: Is laptop operating system windows, and if so what version?

| Thu 23 Mar 2017 11:32:02 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Is it possible to get a non-HD (ie non-DVB-T2) model anymore other than at a boot sale?

| Thu 23 Mar 2017 14:25:34 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Is it possible to get a non-HD (ie non-DVB-T2) model anymore other than at a boot sale?

Certainly not a Humax (The last Freeview PVR from Humax without T2 was the 9300 if I remember correctly). You might pick up a DVB-T model from somewhere like China or Turkey on e-bay, or a USB tuner for a PC with pvr capability.

I seem to remember that the Freeview logo will be withdrawn from kit without DVB-T2 capability.

| Thu 23 Mar 2017 15:23:29 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.