My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Which One?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

itsallgood

I recently took back a 5000T as it was missing recordings (saying there was no power when there most certainly was!!) and restarting when watching catch up.

I know from experience (and loads of posts on here) that both the 5000T and the Aura have their problems but I have a gift card from currys and they have no other TV recording options other than these two machines.

Which to choose? Which is the lesser of two evils? I do like the Aura very much but I just wish the damn thing would work properly!

Has anyone on here used both and which would they recommend?

| Fri 21 Apr 2023 5:52:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

itsallgood

I recently took back a 5000T as it was missing recordings (saying there was no power when there most certainly was!!) and restarting when watching catch up.

I know from experience (and loads of posts on here) that both the 5000T and the Aura have their problems but I have a gift card from currys and they have no other TV recording options other than these two machines.

Which to choose? Which is the lesser of two evils? I do like the Aura very much but I just wish the damn thing would work properly!

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 8:49:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

itsallgood - 2 hours ago  » 

I have used both and I prefer the Aura. It has its quirks but it is usable as a PVR; I think the people who really hate the Aura are those who want to use it as a media centre and install third party apps.

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 11:25:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

itsallgood

Isn't that what it's for, though?

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 12:49:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

itsallgood - 1 hour ago  » 
    Isn't that what it's for, though?

It should be but those who want to use it in that way seem to find all sorts of problems. I use it as a PVR plus use the default installed apps to some times stream content.

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 14:30:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

itsallgood

Ah - I see what you mean. Third party apps as in not the ones that are standard. Yes that does seem to be the problem.

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 14:57:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I went from a FVP5000 to an AURA and I am very happy with my purchase. It is head and shoulders above the 5000 in both its speedy interface and much better usability and features. I found the 5000 a solid performer, but with a painfully slow interface.

The AURA had its issues in the beginning, but now mine works without any issue and does all I need it to - usual PVR duties, catchup services, PLEX/YouTube and streaming content to an upstairs TV running KODI on a Firestick.

It seems that the people who are having constant issues are thinking it's a one box solution to all their very specific and individual needs, but no box will ever be able to do everything for everyone.

I have recommended the AURA to friends and family and they are all very happy with them.

Try it, if you don't like it, get a refund.

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 15:01:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

itsallgood

Thank you for that, Harters. You have outlined pretty much everything I would be using it for. I think I will give it a go! Thank you very much.

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 16:16:21 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

I have both the Aura and 5000, I find the Aura the better of the two but I do find the 5000 has been a solid performer as a recorder. As previously said the 5000 is slow compared with the Aura but I have been happy with both of them .

| Sat 22 Apr 2023 16:45:56 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.