My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Why do BBC recordings seem to be from out of area?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I live in BBC South region (BH post code) and normally recordings made on BBC1 and 2 are labelled BBC1 South and BBC2 England.

However I have noticed that some items saved are marked as coming from another source, such as BBC1 E. Midlands.

Can someone explain why this can happen? Please.

| Sun 11 Aug 2013 23:47:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mjr

This happens on mine if I use the guide to set a recording from BBC One HD, then select the SD version from the pop-up. Mine often picked up East Midlands too, although trying it just now it's picked up West, neither of which are the correct region from channel 101.

I suspect it will also occur if there's a recording clash and the system re-schedules for a repeat showing of the episode.

| Thu 29 Aug 2013 23:13:50 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mjr - 1 hour ago  » 
    This happens on mine if I use the guide to set a recording from BBC One HD, then select the SD version from the pop-up. Mine often picked up East Midlands too, although trying it just now it's picked up West, neither of which are the correct region from channel 101.
    I suspect it will also occur if there's a recording clash and the system re-schedules for a repeat showing of the episode.

Do you have two cables connected with the box set up correctly in 2 cable mode ?

If so there should be no need to substitute if only two recordings are involved. If by any chance you installed with one cable and then added a second, the box will still think you have both tuners connected to a single lnb, a factory reset will sort it out.

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 0:42:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mjr

grahamlthompson - 7 minutes ago  » 

mjr - 1 hour ago  » 

Do you have two cables connected with the box set up correctly in 2 cable mode ?
    If so there should be no need to substitute if only two recordings are involved. If by any chance you installed with one cable and then added a second, the box will still think you have both tuners connected to a single lnb, a factory reset will sort it out.

Yes, two cables and in two cable mode. I'm not sure if it's always done it in the two and a half years I've had the box, but it's certainly been like that for a while - like cerclebois above I'd just occasionally notice it had recorded from a different region than its "home" region. I do use the custom firmware and the channel editor, but I'm pretty sure it occurred before that as well.

By rescheduling I mean a scenario such as where you have a series link set, and the next episode in the series clashes with two existing future recordings - if the box can find a repeat showing (even if it's the same across all BBC 1 regions) I think I've seen it then pick a different region as opposed to the region found on Channel 101. (In normal circumstances, a series link will pick up the next episode from the region it was originally set from.)

At a guess it may have something to do with the order in which the regions are represented in the EPG data stream (which may be different to the channel number order) and the box ends up picking the first episode that matches, regardless of which region it comes from.

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 1:00:09 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mjr - 8 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 7 minutes ago  » 

mjr - 1 hour ago  » 

Yes, two cables and in two cable mode. I'm not sure if it's always done it in the two and a half years I've had the box, but it's certainly been like that for a while - like cerclebois above I'd just occasionally notice it had recorded from a different region than its "home" region. I do use the custom firmware and the channel editor, but I'm pretty sure it occurred before that as well.
    By rescheduling I mean a scenario such as where you have a series link set, and the next episode in the series clashes with two existing future recordings - if the box can find a repeat showing (even if it's the same across all BBC 1 regions) I think I've seen it then pick a different region as opposed to the region found on Channel 101. (In normal circumstances, a series link will pick up the next episode from the region it was originally set from.)
    At a guess it may have something to do with the order in which the regions are represented in the EPG data stream (which may be different to the channel number order) and the box ends up picking the first episode that matches, regardless of which region it comes from.

Sounds very feasible. Occasionly this will cause recording clashes when one of the BBC Regions shows a different episode to the others (usually Scotland). The box then schedules both, this will create a clash if there is already an existing recording in the same time slot or if you try and add one later.

| Fri 30 Aug 2013 9:51:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

mjr - 2 days ago  » 

I always select the relative Sd channel then opt for the HD, if I want that.

BTW, apologies for having seemingly ignored my own thread, but have been holidaying.

| Sun 1 Sep 2013 19:03:55 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.