My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Wifi channel 13

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Hi. I am hoping someone can explain a problem I am having. I have had a 4000t for several years and it has always been connected via wifi without any problems. A few weeks ago I changed my router across to wifi channel 13 to try and address an intermittent wifi interference problem. I was aware that I might have an issue with devices built to US standards, as they only recognise 11 wifi channels, but initially all of my devices, including the 4000t, seemed to be fine and the interference problem seemed to have gone away. But then I noticed that sometimes, but not always, the 4000t would fail to connect the network when I brought it up out of standby. This seemed to happen about 30% of the time and when it did happen:
    1. All of my other devices seemed fine.
    2. If I tried to go through the 4000t menus to manually coonect to the router I found that the 4000t couldn't see the router
    3. But if I used an ethernet cable connection was automatic.
    4. Putting the 4000t back into standby, waiting a few minutes and turning it back on again did not improve the situation.
    5. Unplugging the 4000t, waiting a few minutes and then plugging it in again virtually always solved the problem (on one occasion I had to do this twice).

To check that this wasn't a new fault on the 4000t I then tried switching the router back to its original channel (in the 1-11 range) and everything worked fine for a week. I then switched to channel 13 again and the problem recurred the third time I turned the 4000t on.

So I conclude that the 4000t sometimes, but not always, has a problem with wifi channel 13. As neither the long term use of an ethernet cable nor frequent forced power downs of the 4000t is an acceptable solution to me, it looks as if I am going to have to go back to a channel in the 1-11 range and put up with the occasional wifi interference.

While I don't really understand the technicalities of either wifi or the 4000t, I have wondered whether the fact that channel 11 overlaps with channel 13 might cause the occasional nature of the problem, but I have no idea whether this makes any technical sense, and, even if it did, it would only work if the 4000t was built to a US wifi spec which would seem odd for a product built for the UK market, although I guess this could be an example of lowest common denominator globalisation!

If anyone could explain this to me or, even better, provide a solution, I would be delighted to hear it. Many thanks

Sue

| Sat 3 Aug 2019 15:51:48 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Use a pair of home plug adaptors.

eg

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

If you add a network switch you can use the pair of adaptors to provide a wired link for any other kit you may have with ethernet sockets.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1008D-8-Port-Desktop-Ethernet/dp/B0041JM6GM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=140IDXZHIZ876&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=8+way+network+switch&qid=1564850636&s=gateway&sprefix=8+WAY+NETWORK+%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-6

Connect one of the sockets with a cat 5/6 patch lead to the home plug at the box end, and connect one of the other sockets to your. You can use the spare ports for other kit. The homeplug unit at the router end connects with a cat5/6 patch lead to your routers built in network switch.

| Sat 3 Aug 2019 17:39:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Graham

Many thanks. Excellent suggestion. I am still intrigued as to why I am having the problem in the first place, if anyone knows.

Thanks again

Sue

| Sat 3 Aug 2019 17:55:17 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sue343 - 53 mins ago  » 
    Graham
    Many thanks. Excellent suggestion. I am still intrigued as to why I am having the problem in the first place, if anyone knows.
    Thanks again
    Sue

I have a similar arrangement. The network switch provides a wired connection for my

HDR-1000S, FVP-5000T, LG Smart Blu-ray player, HDR-FOX-T2 and my Yamaha AV receiver. It also connects my Foxsat-HDR and smart TV by a second pair of homeplugs and a small network switch from my TV and the Foxsat-HDR under it and a security camera. All my other kit is at the opposite end of a long lounge with solid floors and a fireplace between them. Wired is always much reliable than wireless. I get about 300Mbps from the link in my lounge to the study where my router is located. That's about 3 x faster than my 100 mbps ISP speed. The other kit is restricted to 100 mbps by the cat 5 cabling and 10/100 network switch. Way fast enough for even 4K video streaming.

Isp routers are pretty feeble at Wireless. My Virgin Superhub is poor, If you want to improve your WiFI coverage buy a better Wireless router and put your ISP router in modem mode.

I use this router for wireless and get fast connections from every room and throughout my larger than average garden.

It was a Amazon Prime bargain.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TDV2IS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1

| Sat 3 Aug 2019 19:04:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Thanks again Graham. I understand what you say about the deficiencies of ISP routers in general. But what intrigues me is why my 4000t sometimes (but not always) totally fails to connect to the wifi on channel 13 but is fine on other wifi channels.

| Sun 4 Aug 2019 8:03:06 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

Interference from other peoples Wifi networks on CH13?
    An Android phone with "Wifi Analyser" installed will prove/disprove that theory.
    There is no direct equivalent for iThings due to Apple's restrictions.

| Sun 4 Aug 2019 8:57:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Trev
    Thanks for the suggestion but I used wifi analyser to determine that channel 13 was the ideal channel for me because nobody else uses it!
    Sue

| Sun 4 Aug 2019 9:05:35 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

OK, but does WA show any other activity on CH13 at the time the 4000t is playing up?

| Sun 4 Aug 2019 9:21:47 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Trev
    I can't say I checked every time, but I did sometimes and nobody else appeared to be on Ch 13. Plus all my other devices were acting normally and I was getting my usual speed. But I guess a very short period of interference just as the 4000t was coming to life is a theoretical possibility. But, if so, the effects of that seem to persist until the next power down which seems odd.
    Sue

| Sun 4 Aug 2019 9:43:09 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.