My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

WiFi Problems

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tim

Purchased the HDR FOX T2 yesterday and updated it to the latest software.
    Today I have been unsuccessfully trying to access the Humax TV Portal via WiFi. It will have to be via WiFi as using a LAN cable is NOT an option and I don't wish to use Powerline Homeplugs.

I know that Humax have their own Dongle but I thought I would try one which I already have. It's an Edimax EW-7717Un which works perfectly with my PC.

I have read that some people are using the Edimax EW-7711 series and would have thought the 7717 would work just as well if not better.

Signal strength is not a problem. I get very good signals on a laptop from everywhere inside the house and from a number of locations outside. I have (temporarily) moved my modem into the same room as the TV and still no joy.

Menu > Settings > System > Internet Setting
    Shows the "Configure WiFi" option 'greyed out' and a message "LAN Network Disconnected"

I used the front USB slot to do the software update so it must be ok.
    I have only tried the dongle in the front USB slot both with and without an extension cable.
    Have also tried switching the unit on with the dongle already in place and vice versa.

At this stage I'm not keen on spending about £30 on the Humax dongle.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,
    Tim

| Tue 19 Jul 2011 14:59:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Tim - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I know that Humax have their own Dongle but I thought I would try one which I already have. It's an Edimax EW-7717Un which works perfectly with my PC.
    I have read that some people are using the Edimax EW-7711 series and would have thought the 7717 would work just as well if not better.

I would guess that the issue is that the 7717 probably uses a different chip set to the 7711. The Humax will only work with a single chip set and hence you need to use a dongle that uses the same chip set as the Humax supplied one.

| Tue 19 Jul 2011 15:08:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

Martin Liddle - 59 minutes ago  » 

Tim - 6 minutes ago  » 

I would guess that the issue is that the 7717 probably uses a different chip set to the 7711. The Humax will only work with a single chip set and hence you need to use a dongle that uses the same chip set as the Humax supplied one.

Chipset is Ralink RT3070. Check out the thread on hummy.tv for more details on compatible dongles.
    http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-wireless-dongle.127/
    And be aware that as well as having a compatible dongle plugged in, there must be no ethernet cable connection to the rear RJ45 socket before the wifi option is enabled.

| Tue 19 Jul 2011 16:12:57 #3 |
  4. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

For what it's worth, I have a WiFi Netgear Range Extender sitting behind my TV. The Tv, Humax, and BluRay player all have RJ45 capability and I chose this route as I can have them all plugged in all the time. The extender was about £50.00. Performance is perfect.

| Tue 19 Jul 2011 16:40:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tim

It appears that the Edimax-7711 series use the same chip set as the Humax. My 7717 does have a different set so I intend to order an Edimax-7711USn (£11.99 from Play.com) as this one looks as if it will allow me to experiment with different dongle locations.
    Reviews for it are mostly favourable but if anyone has had a bad experience with either it, or Play.com, please let me know before I place an order.
    Regards,
    Tim

| Tue 19 Jul 2011 18:41:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tim

Update

Changed my mind and ordered the Edimax EW-7711UAn. It arrived this morning and is working perfectly.

However, the TV portal is shown as "Beta" and I'm sure I read somewhere that it would be the full version with software update 1.02.20 (which I have). I can access YouTube so I guess I must have the latest offering. How long do Humax normally keep beta testing and do they regularly tweak the software and send out updates?

Tim

| Tue 26 Jul 2011 11:25:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapod

I have just purchased a wifi dongle from Humax. Unfortunately, when I follow the installation instructions, there is NO option to setup wifi in the system menu! I do not have an ethernet cable connected. I have done a factory reset, but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

| Sun 11 Mar 2012 8:05:55 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

papapod - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I have just purchased a wifi dongle from Humax. Unfortunately, when I follow the installation instructions, there is NO option to setup wifi in the system menu! I do not have an ethernet cable connected. I have done a factory reset, but to no avail.
    Can anyone help?

From your previous posts I assume you have a Foxsat HDR (satellite recorder) - WiFi is not supported on that product.

| Sun 11 Mar 2012 8:37:31 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.