My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Will I lose recordings if unplugged for while?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gingerscot

I have recently bought 3 Humax 4000T to use between my home and static caravan. However, I was wondering whether or not I will lose all the recordings I have made from the HDD if I leave the machines unplugged for any length of time.

| Tue 2 May 2017 22:34:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

No.

| Tue 2 May 2017 22:53:30 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Of course not, your recordings are stored on a hard disk. Basically a hard disk stores digital data magnetically, just like recordings made on a VCR, cassette tape etc. Would you expect anything you have on your computer to disappear if you turned it off for a long period ?

I have hard disks that can be read from 40 yrs ago.

In way of explanation, your pvr is a computer.

It basically has 3 ways of storing data.

Volatile memory RAM (Random Access Memory). Very high speed but is lost when power is removed.

NVRAM (Non volatile RAM) Expensive compared to RAM in terms of capacity but can be faster than a hard disk but is not lost when power is lost. Typically on ypur pvr will remember your recording schedule and other stuff like the software that makes it work. These days you can get hard disks that use NVRAM technology to create high speed storage (at the moment of limited size) that can be susbtituted for a conventional magnetic hard disk known as a SSD (Solid State Drive). A USB memory stick is a NVRAM device,

A conventional Hard Disk Drive, basically a storage device recording content magnetically to a number of magnetic spinning platters. This is what your pvr records programmes to. Modern Hard Disks are way faster than any current pvr requires and have increasingly larger and larger long term storage . The data is safe without power arguably without power for probably longer than you will live, provided the way it is actually stored on the hard disk remains supported.

| Tue 2 May 2017 23:04:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

To have owned a hard drive forty years ago is impressive; what sort of technology were they? I thought I was a fairly early adopter of hard drives when I fitted a Rodime hard drive to an S100 personal computer in 1985 (had to write my own device driver).

| Wed 3 May 2017 0:28:28 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 9 hours ago  » 

To have owned a hard drive forty years ago is impressive; what sort of technology were they? I thought I was a fairly early adopter of hard drives when I fitted a Rodime hard drive to an S100 personal computer in 1985 (had to write my own device driver).

It's an IDE drive. Could be faulty memory it was used with a desktop PC. I would have been around 30 at the time.

| Wed 3 May 2017 9:36:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The IBM PC, launched on Aug 12 1981, had an IDE drive in it. So forty years is petty close.

| Wed 3 May 2017 9:58:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    The IBM PC, launched on Aug 12 1981, had an IDE drive in it.

It most certainly did not. It had a floppy disk or cassette with twin floppy drives as an option (which I suspect was the most common configuration). The first model with a hard drive as standard was in 1983. The first IDE hard drive was in 1986.

| Wed 3 May 2017 11:10:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

It's an IDE drive. Could be faulty memory it was used with a desktop PC. I would have been around 30 at the time.

If it is an IDE drive then they first appeared in 1986 so more like 30 years old I suspect; still impressive that it still works. I still have my computer with the Rodime drive and I do intend to try and power it up and see if it still works when I have the time.

| Wed 3 May 2017 11:12:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Martin Liddle - 39 minutes ago  » ...It most certainly did not. It had a floppy disk or cassette with twin floppy drives as an option (which I suspect was the most common configuration). The first model with a hard drive as standard was in 1983. The first IDE hard drive was in 1986.

I worked in the IBM PC division at the time, but OK, I'm confused as to exact dates. Sometime in 82 I was using an internal only proto which had an IBM drive. In March 83 IBM announced the IBM PC XT, it featured a 10 MB hard drive.

| Wed 3 May 2017 12:11:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

PC World web site has fascinating info on hard drive history:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/127105/article.html

| Wed 3 May 2017 16:08:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.