My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Will new Foxsat HDR give me advantages over old?

(18 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Penners - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that information, Graham. It's food for thought!
    Presumably the wi-fi remote control means that watching an upstairs TV connected to the downstairs Humax box becomes a viable proposition? Our Humax box is connected to our router via powerline and we have a wi-fi range extender upstairs, so I guess the wi-fi remote would have no trouble talking to the Humax box.

That is correct, you can also view unencrypted recorded content remotely as the software includes a DLNA server package.

| Sun 29 Dec 2013 11:34:20 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notech

grahamlthompson - 11 minutes ago  » 

Presumably the wi-fi remote control means that watching an upstairs TV connected to the downstairs Humax box becomes a viable proposition? Our Humax box is connected to our router via powerline and we have a wi-fi range extender upstairs, so I guess the wi-fi remote would have no trouble talking to the Humax box.

That is correct, you can also view unencrypted recorded content remotely as the software includes a DLNA server package.

Does the Hdr-1000S also have DNLA server capabilities? I am thinking of buying the HDR-1000S having cancelled Sky and would find it useful to watch HDR-1000S recordings on devices other than the TV.

| Sun 29 Dec 2013 11:53:34 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Notech - 8 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 11 minutes ago  » 

Does the Hdr-1000S also have DNLA server capabilities? I am thinking of buying the HDR-1000S having cancelled Sky and would find it useful to watch HDR-1000S recordings on devices other than the TV.

Not yet, currently only client capability. If and when it arrives it will in all probability need a protected client which really means another Humax box like for instance the HDR FOX T2, the HB-1000S or another HDR-1000S.

I can watch recordings made on my Foxsat using the HDR1000s, as they are in the same room it's just out of interest I tried this.

Two HDR FOX T2's can view each others recordings (Even encrypted HD)

| Sun 29 Dec 2013 12:05:58 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notech

Thanks for the help Graham. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

| Tue 31 Dec 2013 12:43:20 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Penners

As you will have recognised in this thread, I'm a bit of a technology ignoramus. Could you explain to me about DNLA devices, please? Specifically, does any device that is DNLA-enabled have the ability to be a server or a client?

My powerline setup is only 200 mbps - would that have the bandwidth to stream HD movies from one device to another?

| Tue 31 Dec 2013 18:07:07 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)

http://www.dlna.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

To send the pictures you need a server, to receive you need a client. To send and receive on one device you need both.

200Mbps is more than fast enough, be aware that you won't actually achieve that. A typical HD movie would require about 8Mbps (Megabits/Second).

| Tue 31 Dec 2013 18:14:01 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Penners - 1 hour ago  » 
    Specifically, does any device that is DNLA-enabled have the ability to be a server or a client?

No. You can have devices that are just clients, just servers or both.

| Tue 31 Dec 2013 19:13:04 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Penners

Many thanks, Graham and Martin. I'm always happy to try and keep up with the latest technology (however much of a losing battle it may be, at my age!)

| Wed 1 Jan 2014 15:28:28 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.