My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

WLAN problem

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi, I have a situation where I have set up both LAN and WLAN but when I look at Media Server I can only see my PC when I have an ethernet cable attached (LAN). This seems to be working fine. But when I try WLAN (unplugging the ethernet cable from the PC) The PC cannot be seen in Media Server.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 13:06:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Not an expert by any means but suspect your router is using a different subnet assignation for LAN and WLAN.

Your router instructions may help.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 13:35:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've gone into the router settings but cannot see anything to do with subnet mask for wireless. (I'm certainly no expert)
    What I can say is that it is a sky hub, I was able to connect to the network when setting up both LAN and WLAN.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 14:22:24 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've gone into the router settings but cannot see anything to do with subnet mask for wireless. (I'm certainly no expert)
    What I can say is that it is a sky hub, I was able to connect to the network when setting up both LAN and WLAN.

Have you any other device you can check that WLAN and LAN connected devices can talk to each other. Using my laptop on wireless or direct wired produces identical results in accessing the kit I have on my home network.

Hopefully a reader with more knowledge of networks may be able to help.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 14:29:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

J_Oz - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi, I have a situation where I have set up both LAN and WLAN but when I look at Media Server I can only see my PC when I have an ethernet cable attached (LAN). This seems to be working fine. But when I try WLAN (unplugging the ethernet cable from the PC) The PC cannot be seen in Media Server.

What is the IP address assigned to the Humax when connected a) via the LAN and b) via the wireless LAN?

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 15:38:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi Martin, I'll need to look into that later as I have to go out, but I have just installed PLEX on the PC and the 4000T finds it and plays music.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 16:01:06 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Suggest you try a standby cycle after you disconnect the LAN cable.

While I am sure the Linux core would support multiple IP connections I would not assume that Humax's logic would.
    I am sure it would display only one IP in settings, when it must have two. Would the logic have been included to swap to the other IP - I doubt it.

A standby cycle should sort it.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 16:15:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Hi All, Thanks for the many suggestions.
    Martin, the IP address is different when the PVR is set to LAN rather than WLAN.

REPASSAC - If by standby cycle you mean put it into standby then back on then I have tried that.

I could be wildly wrong here but as I can connect when I have a PLEX server running on the PC, I feel the problem is more likely to be a Windows 10 issue. Also, I am quite happy to use PLEX so I don't think any more tinkering is necessary.

Please let me know if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree (or indeed, just barking)

Thanks once again for your help.

| Sat 31 Oct 2015 8:20:12 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think Martin wanted to know what the IP's were. i.e. that the IP's differed only in the 4th part of the IP address.

Windows Media Player has quite a few sharing settings - perhaps these are not set correctly.

| Sat 31 Oct 2015 8:28:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

OK, yes, they only differed by 1. The LAN was 10 and the WLAN was 11 (Last part)

| Sat 31 Oct 2015 8:30:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.