My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Yet another 2000T issue

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have found yet another issue with my 2000T which again doesn't appear to have a resolution.

Setup - 2000T is connected using a passive splitter to Panasonic TV.

Panasonic TV plus all other connected devices use Sonos Playbar via optical, TVs internal speakers disabled - works like a charm (with most things).

I have only noticed this issue today and only now because of the way I have started up my 2000T.

If I start up the 2000T first i.e. TV not switched on, then when I do switch on the TV and select the HDMI input for the 2000T I have no audio from the 2000T. Nothing I do will remedy that situation e.g. switching inputs back and forth, pressing mute then sound etc. All other devices still work as normal.

The only way to restore sound is to shut down the 2000T and restart it? Similarly, if I am watching the 2000T then switch off the TV but leave the 2000T active, when I switch the TV back on and go back to the 2000T - again no audio on that input.

Providing I switch on the TV first there is no issue. I can switch inputs etc. audio remains fine on the 2000T.

What is going on here? Along with all the other issues I'm about ready to throw this box through the window.

| Wed 18 Mar 2015 14:33:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well I take it all back, there is a solution and I have managed to find it though it takes me full circle to when I purchased the Humax.

The problem is the passive splitter. If I take the splitter out of the equation then it doesn't matter what order the Humax and TV is switched on, audio is present. How the splitter affects the ability to lose audio in this way is perhaps for someone cleverer than me to answer.

The only issue I will have now is the one I had from the start i.e. brief broadcast interruption when the HDMI input for the 2000T activates.

I have to say I've never owned a PVR which has proved to be so problematic as this Humax.

| Wed 18 Mar 2015 16:33:49 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    The only issue I will have now is the one I had from the start i.e. brief broadcast interruption when the HDMI input for the 2000T activates.
    I have to say I've never owned a PVR which has proved to be so problematic as this Humax.

'

Is the pvr connected to hdmi-1 on a Panasonic TV ? If so switch to another hdmi socket.

| Wed 18 Mar 2015 18:19:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Hi Graham, no my 1000S is in HDMI 1, the 2000T is into HDMI 2, that is the ARC enabled one.

I think if memory serves me correctly I tried all three originally without any joy. About 18 minutes before 6pm this evening the TV went off with the 'no signal' message for around 10 seconds (News set to record at 6pm) at the same time as the HDMI powered up.

Although the 2000T connects via a Neet HDMI hub, I wired it directly previously which made no difference.

It's not the end of the world and is preferable to losing the audio when using the splitter but it is annoying.

| Wed 18 Mar 2015 21:33:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Faust - 8 hours ago  » 

Hi Faust, is this a passive aerial splitter you notice the problems with or a passive hdmi splitter or the 'neet hdmi hub' you mention which is likely to be active and could be a hub or a splitter?
    viera link a.k.a. cec, plus arc will cause problems and these will only be compounded using a hdmi hub or splitter. It all sounds a bit too complicated. In situations like this I tend to keep everything as simple as possible, disconnect absolutely everything and reconnect one thing at a time and test

| Wed 18 Mar 2015 23:05:23 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

damian - 10 hours ago  » 

Faust - 8 hours ago  » 

Hi Faust, is this a passive aerial splitter you notice the problems with or a passive hdmi splitter or the 'neet hdmi hub' you mention which is likely to be active and could be a hub or a splitter?
    viera link a.k.a. cec, plus arc will cause problems and these will only be compounded using a hdmi hub or splitter. It all sounds a bit too complicated. In situations like this I tend to keep everything as simple as possible, disconnect absolutely everything and reconnect one thing at a time and test

Hi Damian,

It may sound complicated but it isn't - let me explain.

I have been using the 2000T up to now with a passive aerial splitter. This for the most part worked fine. However, what I have been having issues with using the splitter is audio. My setup uses a Sonos Playbar. All devices pick up audio via the Panasonic TVs optical input which is played through the Playbar. The TVs internal speakers are disabled.

With the 2000T what was happening was if the 2000T was switched on before the TV was switched on then there was no audio from the 2000T when you selected that input. Same happens if I switch the TV off but leave the 2000T on. When I switch the TV back on again I have lost audio through from the 2000T. Only way to recover audio was to reboot the 2000T but leave the TV on. Everything worked fine if you switch the TV on first.

I then revert to my original setup i.e. use the 2000Ts pass through and ditch the splitter. This now cures the audio issue but the reason I started to use a splitter in the first place re-appears. When a programme is due to record then around 18 minutes before the start the 2000T activates it's HDMI output. For whatever reason this interrupts the TV signal for the TV (lasts around 10 seconds).

I have tried just a straight run from the 2000T to the TV i.e. no HDMI hub, used different cables and tried all three HDMI connectors on the TV. At best instead of a 10 second interruption, running straight to the TV reduces that to around 5 seconds.

Veira link is OFF and there is no issue with my HDR 1000s either audio or signal interruption which is part of the same setup. I have also switched PVRs and placed our Panasonic HWT120 in the setup - no problems whatsoever.

I can only assume all these problems has something to do with retro engineering a fix by Humax for the pass-through debacle, or I have got a faulty unit. My money is on the former.

| Thu 19 Mar 2015 9:35:35 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham, no my 1000S is in HDMI 1, the 2000T is into HDMI 2, that is the ARC enabled one.
    I think if memory serves me correctly I tried all three originally without any joy. About 18 minutes before 6pm this evening the TV went off with the 'no signal' message for around 10 seconds (News set to record at 6pm) at the same time as the HDMI powered up.
    Although the 2000T connects via a Neet HDMI hub, I wired it directly previously which made no difference.
    It's not the end of the world and is preferable to losing the audio when using the splitter but it is annoying.

Have you tried disabling Viera-Link on the TV (CEC Control) ?

| Thu 19 Mar 2015 10:50:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 47 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 13 hours ago  » 

Have you tried disabling Viera-Link on the TV (CEC Control) ?

Viera link has always been disabled. What gets me is that the 1000s uses HDMI 1 and that never causes an issue nor does our HWT120 (which I have tried).

As said in post to Damien, I'm sure it has something to do with the retro-engineered fix for pass-through, either that or it's a faulty box.

| Thu 19 Mar 2015 11:40:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have made some significant progress with this issue. I decided to connect a 'Poundland' type cheapo HDMI cable instead of the decent quality ones being used.

I first connected this straight from the 2000T to the TV bypassing the HDMI hub. Success - no interruption to signal at all when the 2000T woke up from standby.

I then did the same again only this time put the HDMI hub back in the circuit. This time as the 2000T came out of standby the TV produced a very short high pitched 'squelch' but no loss of signal.

It appears the 2000T prefers 'cheapo' HDMI cables to better quality ones. It also appears the HDMI hub does have an effect on this issue but as I can't do without one in my setup then it looks like the best I can do is put up with the momentary high pitched 'squelch'.

| Thu 19 Mar 2015 14:58:12 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.