My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Yet another newbe

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pardnerr

Hello,

New here. 1st post !

Have just upgraded from the PVR 9200T & purchased a HDR Fox T2.
    I want to connect the new kit to my network, is there an alternative to the Humax dongle ?
    I already have an Xbox connected via a dongle but the connections not great and drops regularly.
    Could the new kit be connected via those power socket plug in extenders ?
    Has anyone used them or are there any other options ?
    Thanks for any advice/replies in advance.

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 11:57:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pardnerr - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Hello,
    New here. 1st post !
    Have just upgraded from the PVR 9200T & purchased a HDR Fox T2.
    I want to connect the new kit to my network, is there an alternative to the Humax dongle ?

Most common alternative is :
    EW-7711UTn - Mini-size with built in antenna (Amazon Rating 4/5 - 159 votes)
    EW-7711UAn - Mini-size with Built-in high gain 3dBi antenna (Amazon Rating 4/5 - 218 votes)
    EW-7711USn - Normal size with detachable high gain 3dBi detachable external antenna (Amazon Rating 4/5 - 12 votes

I already have an Xbox connected via a dongle but the connections not great and drops regularly.
    Could the new kit be connected via those power socket plug in extenders ?

How well a dongle works will be very dependent on your particular setup (distance and number of walls to router etc). For about £10 it isn't a bad gamble particularly as somebody here would take it off your hands if it didn't work. Homeplug devices are a good alternative (and what we use) but more expensive.

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 12:34:08 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Can only concur with Martin, wifi dongle is much cheaper alternative.

I use Homeplugs/Powerline adaptors, but it cost me in the region of £100 for the pair - single unit, plus 4 port unit, as I have a few boxes I need to connect

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 12:42:42 #3 |
  4. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have a few alternatives.

Homeplugs aka powerline adapters - you need at least 2 of the AV or 200Mb variety and since you have an unreliable (I assume wifi) dongle you may want to look at the multi-output versions. Humax sell them on their site under 'accessories' or you can get them at Maplin or PC world or Amazon amongst others. 'Plug through' types will not use up an extra socket. note that you will need a Cat 5e or Cat 6 lead with each piece of connected equipment but if you buy a set of 2 they normally come with 2 cables.

Hardwire back to the router with Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable from the Fox HD/ and or the Xbox.

Hardwire Fox HD and Xbox to a network switch and either hardwire or use homeplugs to connect back to the router. Note a multi-output homeplug is essentially a homeplug and network switch combined. Solwise actually make a 3 LAN 6 mains extension which I have used in a friends case where wifi would not penetrate internal walls.

Edit: I see martin and Barry got in there before me with recommended wifi dongles. If you have poor wifi you can always improve it using reflectors. google wifi reflectors for simple designs.

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 12:49:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pardnerr

Thanks for the info.
    I have old house with thick stone walls so may go for the more expensive home plug option.
    I've found this one on Amazon - Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit which I think
    I'll be able to use with the PVR & Xbox (by plugging in in cable) also giving better wifi in the room for the laptop.
    Am I right in thinking this will work ?
    However the links to the dongles provided by Martin above were much cheaper than I was expecting
    so may be worth a punt, I'm not really that bothered about the Xbox as it doesn't get used much.
    Thanks guys !

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 13:22:14 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

That should work fine for you, you may find the wifi dongle you have will be ok with the access point on the plug in the room.

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 19:05:54 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.