My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

YouView and the future of the PVR

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Some interesting comments from Nick Thexton ( formerly with Cisco, now YouView CTO) at a digital media conference in London.

Thexton said that with cloud infrastructure it is possible to strip out a lot of complexity of a connected platform like YouView – which is a hybrid digital-terrestrial and internet service.

“A typical refrain is how difficult it is to make changes in set-top boxes. One of my subtexts of joining YouView is to change that dynamic very rapidly and to basically move out of the set-top box as much complexity as possible and move that into the back office.

“When you do the analysis you find that not much needs to stay in the set-top box. Actually an awful lot can move out. As you start to work in multi-device and fragmented universe you don’t want to store quite so much in the set-top box,” said Thexton.

(quoted in the YouView forum, no citation, https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youtube-app-player-33-is-this-ever-going-to-appear-on-the-youview-platform?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=15668910#reply_15668910)

| Thu 7 May 2015 17:38:07 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

You can bet your life that the content providers would prefer not to have so much stored in the local box! Any device that needs a working internet connection to work at all is a retrograde step.

| Thu 7 May 2015 17:57:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

gomezz - 3 minutes ago  » 
    You can bet your life that the content providers would prefer not to have so much stored in the local box!

Understandably, IMO.

Any device that needs a working internet connection to work at all is a retrograde step.
    Part of the focus on OTT and cloud-based functionality presumably. They need the boxes to be connected and making use of the innovative stuff, not just being used to record Eastenders OTA.

| Thu 7 May 2015 18:18:11 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

You can bet your life that the content providers would prefer not to have so much stored in the local box!

Understandably, IMO.

Any device that needs a working internet connection to work at all is a retrograde step.
    Part of the focus on OTT and cloud-based functionality presumably. They need the boxes to be connected and making use of the innovative stuff, not just being used to record Eastenders OTA.
    Recording Eastenders is key to my wife's wishes. She does not messages that our internet connection is below a certain speed or to try later.

| Thu 7 May 2015 19:41:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 8 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

Understandably, IMO.

Recording Eastenders is key to my wife's wishes. She does not messages that our internet connection is below a certain speed or to try later.

If recording Eastenders is the priority, a non-YouView box might be more suitable.

| Thu 7 May 2015 20:02:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

And yet only today I have read an article stating there is a real concern that the Internet is struggling to cope with the ever increasing demand.

I am quite happy to stream at my own behest but equally I want to store my media locally thank you very much.

| Thu 7 May 2015 22:23:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

And yet only today I have read an article stating there is a real concern that the Internet is struggling to cope with the ever increasing demand.

Yes, and that's a different, equally interesting future-watching question. Expansion of capacity seems more likely than constriction of demand.

I am quite happy to stream at my own behest but equally I want to store my media locally thank you very much.
    But will future PVRs continue to enable local storage, that's the question. The content owners already control the design of the easily available PVRs, to a quite remarkable extent. If cloud storage is what the content owners prefer, chances are that's what's going to be coming to market. And will be bought by most viewers.

| Fri 8 May 2015 8:03:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 8 hours ago  » 

Yes, and that's a different, equally interesting future-watching question. Expansion of capacity seems more likely than constriction of demand.
    But will future PVRs continue to enable local storage, that's the question. The content owners already control the design of the easily available PVRs, to a quite remarkable extent. If cloud storage is what the content owners prefer, chances are that's what's going to be coming to market. And will be bought by most viewers.

That assumes a fast reliable internet connection. I have already had a rant about this at home this week (using the wife as my focus ) You can imagine how long it takes to upload my photos to the cloud with a 330kbps upload speed.

I predict Labour will again become the largest party in Scotland before we get fibre in our area.

| Fri 8 May 2015 16:31:14 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Or perhaps it will become politically expedient and therefore suddenly feasible to make CDNs and fast broadband available throughout Scotland.

| Fri 8 May 2015 17:26:30 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.