My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

youview box - so many issues after just 1 month

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Keef1956

Having had a Humax box for years, I thought it was worth upgrading to the new youview DTR1000. This is sitting proudly connected to my TV and to my Infinity broadband.

Now I can forgive the many failings of functionality on the new box - a backward step in many respects to the old Humax box (no edit channels, sort, favourites, skip forward, reset without losing recordings and on and on and on).

What I didn't expect was to have a box that

1 continually freezes up - I have to remove the plug and restart the box
    2 Gets pixelations from phone texts in the same room
    3 on demand - ITV Player has recently dissapeared - it says not available in your region - although it absolutely is on any other devise connected to my home network (and I'm sure it was working on day 1)
    4 on demand has the blue circle suggesting poor speed - even though I am running at over 54mps! I have no problems with every other device using iplayers.

I have a call pending with tech support who have suggested there is a fix by going onto maintenance mode and getting an upgrade but I have to take a day off work to take a call - maybe Friday will see these problems come to an end - maybe not - they didnt call me last week!!.

I wondered if anyone out there has similar problems or if I have a rogue machine.

shame but I'm thinking of taking the thing back to the shop and looking for a different PVR

comments appreciated.
    K

| Tue 18 Sep 2012 22:57:23 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Can't say my box has any of those problems. It does what it does well enough. Especially seems to work well on a low signal strength so the mobile phone interference is a curious one. What make and model of phone is it?

I have seen one other report just today of problems with ITV Player. But ITV are such a load of cack in general that I would be staring hard in their direction first before blaming the TV box.

That said there are lots of things you would expect a modern box to do which it doesn't do.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 0:54:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

"4 on demand has the blue circle suggesting poor speed - even though I am running at over 54mps!"

Hi,

54mps? are you using wireless?
    run something like this:
    http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/
    I think you'll need more than 3Mbps on your incoming connection, if you're getting more than this then have you tried a direct network cable link from box to router (best) or homeplugs (2nd best). If you can't run a network cable then you can pick up a 500mbps homeplug set for £30-£40 these days
    Other people have reported problems with DNS and have better results putting in their isp's dns rather than their local router

A lot of these problems are caused by poor network connectivity and no amount of software/firmware upgrades will fix a poor connection.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 12:12:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Keef1956

Thanks both -

So firstly the phone is an Iphone 4. As I say, the techy guy at Humax is suggesting there is a maintenance upgrade which resolved this and I'm hoping to have them call on Friday to talk me through it. We'll see.
    On the speed rate, I actually have the device in a plug in connected to the router which is BT infinity running at better than 54mbps - so at that speed I would have expected to be able to watch the programs a day before they are broadcast

So network is fine. Only thing I have seen on other blogs about humax boxes generally is the aerial connection is not well screened in the box itself and some folks have resorted to making their own connectors.

But here we are in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, just gone over to full digital, Apple have released yet another version of Iphone and SKY are still sending me leaflets once a week! and I'm the one who gets the dodgy unit

I'll let you know how Friday goes - you never know
    K

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 22:12:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Keef1956,

I'm still unclear as to how you are connecting things together.

Exactly how is the DTR1000 connected to the infinity router?

Also, do you have a network cable so that you can temporarily connect the DTR1000 directly to the infinity router just to test.
    Also, again, what speed do you get if you run the speedtester (link above) from your browser?

The more information you can provide us with will increase the chance of somebody pin-pointing where the problem is.

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 5:25:52 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

You say you can't get ITV Player. What about the other catch up services?

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 8:48:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Keef1956

OK.. So
    If I plug my laptop directly into my BT Homehub which is connected to the Infinity modem my speed is 49.58Mbps

If I run the test wirelessly, it will be lower because of the constraints of the hub and number of wireless devices ...but I still get a respectable 23.99Mbps

The Humax Box is plugged into the mains in the lounge and to the aerial cable as normal. It is then plugged in through the ethernet port to a plug-In (Devolo dLAN 200 AVmini). The other plug in is connected directly to an ethernet port on the router.

I can get BBC IPLayer; 4OD; 5OD; BT Vision (if you want to pay for it) and some sky thing.

If I had known before I bought this devise, for £12 per month I could have got the BT vision box which would have done the exact same thing and gien me all the BT subscription services to boot! you live and learn.

I look forward to tomorrow to see if Humax ring and if that fixes the problem. I still think I have a dudden!

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 19:14:08 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I cannot imagine that the connection has anything to do with the Humax Box. What is the result if you plug your laptop that way.
    I can tell you that any mains limiting kit - Surge protection etc - can limit equipment very significantly.

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 19:23:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Keef1956

I will try with my laptop in the plug in and do a speed test. be back soon

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 19:33:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Keef1956

ok - so speedtest measures 36.22Mbps at the ethernet port which would plug into the humax box.

There is nothing wrong with my network. Strike 1

On the basis that "A minimum broadband speed of 3Mbps is recommended" according to Youview and Humax tejmselves recommended the plugins it has to be something to do with the box.

OR.... Does the on demand content have anything to do with the aerial or position of the aerial? I didn't think so but....

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 19:53:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.