My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

YouView on Sony Android TVs

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sony's 2015 range of Android TVs will have YouView app

Sony announced at CES that almost all of its 2015 TV range would run Android TV. Today the company is announcing that all of those TVs will also be able to offer YouView's services, including its distinctive user interface design, and the much-praised seven-day EPG with catch-up services built in. [...]

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/sony-s-2015-range-of-android-tvs-will-have-youview-app-1283402

Looks like rollback EPGs will soon be a standard Smart TV feature.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 11:00:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

YouView's blog entry says:

It’s also to Sony’s great credit that they’ve embraced the concept of YouView as a complete experience – both for connected (and, critically) unconnected sets.

How's that going to work? How can you stream catchup to an unconnected TV?

http://www.youview.com/blog/2015/02/04/the-connected-tv-journey-begins-richard-halton-ceo/

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 18:37:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

JamesB - 3 hours ago  » 
    How's that going to work? How can you stream catchup to an unconnected TV?

I assume that means all of the 2015 bravia range, all will now get youview and not just those that previously could connect to the internet, i.e. the connected and unconnected. Presumably sony refer to their sets as connected/unconnected and the 2015 bravia range will now all get youview, even those at the bottom of the range. Obviously sony will have to add the wifi and/or ethernet port, a pound or two, most likely already designed on the pcb anyway with the unconnected sets previously not having it populated.

Personally I think it's a great move, would like to see the other manufacturers follow.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 22:40:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Not all, but all the Android range, according to pocketlint:

Integrated YouView will be on all Sony's Android TVs, which is the majority of the 2015 range. There are a few TVs at the entry-level that won't be YouView enabled. The included TVs are: (4K models) X94C, X93C, X90C, S85C, X85C, X83C; (Full HD models) W85C, W80C, W75C.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132608-sony-offers-integrated-youview-on-2015-bravia-range

Personally I think it's a great move, would like to see the other manufacturers follow.

It will be interesting to see if Samsung go for YouView, or wait for Freeview Connect.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 0:01:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » 

Pansonic already have freetime for some of their TVs. With freetime allowing more flexability to the device than Youview currently do I'm not sure that I would go along with wishing the spread of Youview offerings.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 0:08:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Luke - 10 minutes ago  » 
    With freetime allowing more flexability to the device than Youview currently do I'm not sure that I would go along with wishing the spread of Youview offerings.

YouView's search is brilliant. It's the main reason I keep watching YouView. You can easily find the movie you want to stream if it's available from any of the on-board players.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 0:24:58 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I've never owned a TV with satellite input, nor do I know anybody with one even when they've the option of plugging a sat card in; however freetime on such a TV would also be great.

In the meantime virtually all TV's have a terrestrial tuner, I'd forgotten about Freeview Connect, can't really comment on that until it's been out for 6 months and bedded in, looks promising though, although so did youview before it launched. Sony's involvement with youview can only be good for youview, hopefully Sony will be able to get them (YV) to pull their socks up otherwise Sony's brand/image will get damaged

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 0:48:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sony's involvement with youview can only be good for youview, hopefully Sony will be able to get them (YV) to pull their socks up otherwise Sony's brand/image will get damaged

Yes. This has already been demonstrated. The Sony-YouView deal was announced hard on the heels of the update for the short-recording/short-playback bug.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 0:59:36 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Now on the way to the shops, according to YouView: https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/sony-to-offer-youview-built-in-to-new-2015-tv-range?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=15631790#reply_15631790

There is a link to a video showing the YouView implementation. Evidently the YouView search is available, but it's not clear from the video what content the search will cover.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 17:33:26 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Handson from What HiFi:
    http://www.whathifi.com/sony/tv-youview/review

Particularly of interest (to me, and perhaps to some others in this forum:

First on the to-do list is to enable a sort of native PVR function, where you can connect a hard drive and record programmes off YouView.

If YouView actually deliver on this (as opposed to the rubbishy recording "features" on some current TVs), there will be pressure on Freeview Play to match it.

Not so good:

Then there’s talk of integrating extra apps into YouView’s search function, so you could search across, say, both iPlayer and Netflix at the same time.

But NowTV (films) is already integrated into the search feature on YouView boxes, and as you can't restrict the search to only those services you subscribe to, the search results can be useless - swamped by movies you can't watch.

Perhaps there will now be a filter option to avoid this problem. That would be good.

| Mon 29 Jun 2015 14:35:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.