My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Deleted a file I desperately need to keep

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

Hi,

My daughter had a card read out on Cbeebies - We successfully recorded it to keep for posterity for her - but I think I've deleted it!!!!!!!

2 Questions -

1) How can I lock a file from ever being deleted (to prevent this hapening again)

and

2) Can a deleted file be recovered (a recycle bin essentially)

Thanks

| Sat 29 Mar 2014 20:01:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grant_whittaker - 1 hour ago  » 
    1) How can I lock a file from ever being deleted (to prevent this hapening again)

Select the recording, press the OPT+ button the remote and take the Lock option

2) Can a deleted file be recovered (a recycle bin essentially)

Not with the standard firmware. The custom firmware has a package to provide an undelete capability.

| Sat 29 Mar 2014 21:37:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

Thank you... sadly that means it's gone then

| Sat 29 Mar 2014 21:53:21 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Have you tried iPlayer? it still might be there?
    As of recovering deleted file, depends how far you're prepared to go to try.
    The possibility would be: Unplug your box's power, to stop any further activity on HDD. Remove HDD from the box. Connect to PC running live Linux rescue distribution, for example any of these. Recover what you can, and see if successful by playing back on your box.
    Yes, it is messy, and definitely not for faint hearted. Plus; If it was recorded in HD, as I do understand, it has been encoded, which complicates a matter even further.
    But, as I said, it is a possibility....

| Sat 29 Mar 2014 22:40:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

catinaz - 1 hour ago  » 
    The possibility would be: Unplug your box's power, to stop any further activity on HDD. Remove HDD from the box. Connect to PC running live Linux rescue distribution, for example any of these. Recover what you can, and see if successful by playing back on your box.

Have you actually recovered deleted files from an EXT3 formatted drive? I think the chances of success are very small.

Plus; If it was recorded in HD, as I do understand, it has been encoded, which complicates a matter even further.

All recordings are encrypted when written to the hard drive (both SD and HD). Humax provide a method to remove the encryption from SD recordings by copying to USB storage (or by streaming from the DLNA server).

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 0:42:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Have you actually recovered deleted files from an EXT3 formatted drive? I think the chances of success are very small.

No, I haven't. All I've ever done, was to recover some photos from sd card. Which is walk in the park compared to encrypted video file from HDR box.
    The question is: How significant/important the file is, to go to all the trouble. And in this case, I think, they can live without it.
    But I was pointing to the theoretical chance rather than practical. And I still think, that with enough knowledge and time it would be possible to recover it. After all ext3 is a journaled file system, which in theory, should be easier to recover files from? Or rather "undelete" them from journal, since files them selves are not physically deleted (unless have been overwritten later)? Or am I confusing something?

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 3:54:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The question is: How significant/important the file is, to go to all the trouble. And in this case, I think, they can live without it.

Not a very helpful contribution.

OP, might it be worth emailing Cbeebies? As the BBC is soon to open its archive, the programme in which your daughter's card was read out might become available to buy and download.

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 8:28:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Grant is the programme you want currently available on iplayer ?.

If so there is a free PC programme called Web PVR Manager that can download iplayer content to your PC in a format you can then save on other media like a DVD for example. If you can post the time and date and name of the programme I will have a look for it.

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 10:35:47 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

catinaz - 8 hours ago  » 
    After all ext3 is a journaled file system, which in theory, should be easier to recover files from?

It is true that EXT3 is a journaled file system but journaling is about keeping the file system consistent after a crash or sudden power loss and doesn't keep long term data that would be needed for undelete operations. I will repeat my advice to the OP is not to waste time trying to recover the file.

| Sun 30 Mar 2014 11:35:12 #9 |
  10. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

Get_Iplayer is currently showing 303 programmes from the Cbeebies channel available for download, what is the programme's title / episode name?

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 15:24:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.