My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Disk Disappears after Power Cut

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tt1234567

Whenever the power to my 2000T is disconnected the disk becomes unavailable (the "media" button does nothing). It comes back as soon as a scheduled recording starts, so it's not a major problem, but it's a bit irritating.

Is there any way of preventing this? If not, is there an easier way of getting the thing to recognise the disk than scheduling a recording and waiting for it to start?

I've had the unit for about a month and it's been fine otherwise.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 8:47:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tt1234567 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Whenever the power to my 2000T is disconnected the disk becomes unavailable (the "media" button does nothing).
    I've had the unit for about a month and it's been fine otherwise.

Something very odd going on there. Have you tried running the hard drive test (Menu button>Settings>System>Data storage>HDD Test)? I would be tempted to contact the supplier and get it exchanged.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 10:09:44 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Besides what Martin has suggested, can you also confirm the software version.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 10:13:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tt1234567

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the HDD test this evening (I ran it when the unit was new and everything was OK).

I updated the software manually as soon as I got it so I think it's 1.01.06 (but I'll check later today).

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 10:25:29 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What happens if you simply push the instant record button, rather than waiting for a scheduled recording ?

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 12:30:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tt1234567

The instant record button doesn't do anything when it's in this state - a sort of 'no entry' sign is displayed. It seems to need a scheduled recording for the disk to become visible to the user.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 13:03:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tt1234567

I tried the HDD test and it didn't find any problems.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 18:33:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I assume you've tried a factory reset, without format?

If a factory reset hasn't fixed it then it sounds like a power supply issue to me, either external or internal.

If I've understood the problem
    "Whenever the power to my 2000T is disconnected the disk becomes unavailable"
    you switch off at the mains, presumably overnight, switch back on sometime later and you can't access the disk until a scheduled recording takes place.
    Can you switch it back on 1/2 an hour earlier or put it into standby after 1/2 an hour or when convenient after it's been switched back on at the mains, wait 5 minutes in standby, switch it back out of standby and see if the disk is available. If this works then reduce the time you switch it in/out of standby after powering back on at the mains. You may find you can reduce this time down to a few minutes of putting into/out-of standby after powering back on at the mains.

Even if toggling standby after a few minutes, or however long, works, I'd be inclined to return the unit if it's under warranty.

If it's out of warranty and you know a friend/neighbour with a similar 2000t, I'd see if swapping the power supply makes any difference, unless you happen to have a suitable 12v 2A psu knocking around or want to risk a £10 or so unbranded purchase from ebay/amazon etc.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 22:20:11 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tt1234567

No, I haven't tried a factory reset yet, partly because of the annoyance of having to retune, reset schedules, favourite channels, wifi passwords, etc. I'll try it later today if I've got time.

Putting it in and out of standby doesn't seem to make any difference.

I don't usually switch the power off overnight and only noticed the problem because we've had a few short power cuts here recently.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 8:21:14 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

After the next power-cut/outage, put it into standby, I assume the disk won't be spinning?, and power off at mains, 5-10 secs., and back on again.
    One of my very old Humax's wouldn't spin the disk up after power had been disconnected for what ever reason, it would after a further power cycle. It didn't makes sense and happened every single time so I lived with it. I'd be surprised if this worked for yours, but you never know.

A factory reset is worthwhile doing, I suppose you need to wait to see which causes more annoyance, the reset or not having access to the disk.

A power outage or not shutting down or powering off properly will cause disk corruption, again we don't have access to the system to run basic tests however; it's feasible that the system is checking the disk on powering up and the disk isn't ready quickly enough and is shown as unavailable.

It's possible some of the other posts we've seen here regarding lack of disk access is simply down to the box having had the plug/power pulled on it and a check disk taking too long.

Powering the system properly down again, i.e. into standby, waiting for the disk to spin down (can take a while), switch off at mains and powering back up should solve it.

Also if there've been power cuts it's also possible that the firmware/software has become corrupt, if cycling the power doesn't help or factory resetting then reflashing or updating the software would be my next step

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 16:49:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.