My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat detection fails/invalid postcode error

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AMS

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that. I tried switching off the cordless phone and router this morning to no avail. I will get the installer back to try and sort this out.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 15:33:49 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

AMS - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for that. I tried switching off the cordless phone and router this morning to no avail. I will get the installer back to try and sort this out.

Make sure you stress you need a good signal on 11428 H (28.5E).

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 17:08:48 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AMS

Hi all, thanks for your help. Just to update. I took my box around to a friends house last night (as you do!) plugged it in to his satellite system and it came back to life, accepted postcode did auto retune with no problems so have all the channels back at home now.

Still waiting for the installer to come back and sort my own dish out and I dont expect to be charged again for something he should have sorted in the first place!

Thanks again.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 10:13:33 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AMS - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Hi all, thanks for your help. Just to update. I took my box around to a friends house last night (as you do!) plugged it in to his satellite system and it came back to life, accepted postcode did auto retune with no problems so have all the channels back at home now.
    Still waiting for the installer to come back and sort my own dish out and I dont expect to be charged again for something he should have sorted in the first place!
    Thanks again.

Good Idea - Can you check if you have channel 205 - France 24 (it's on the next transponder on Eutelsat 28A). The fitter will be more used to installing dishes for Sky boxes who don't rely on 28.5E for the epg although there are a few channels from there like France 24.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 10:49:45 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AMS

Hi, yes I have channel 205 - France 24. If I understand you correctly, do you mean if I was correctly tuned in I wouldn't have the France 24 channel?

Phoned the installer today, he told me it was most likely a faulty LNB now as I was properly tuned in and will charge if he comes back?

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 20:54:14 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AMS - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, yes I have channel 205 - France 24. If I understand you correctly, do you mean if I was correctly tuned in I wouldn't have the France 24 channel?
    Phoned the installer today, he told me it was most likely a faulty LNB now as I was properly tuned in and will charge if he comes back?

Sounds like a real cowboy (Is he a member of a recognised trade organisation like the CAI ?). If you have vertical transponders and not horizontal the chances are the lnb skew is incorrectly set (twist in the lnb bracket). 28.5E has a standard skew setting, 28.2E is non standard. A compromise setting is required.

If incorrectly set the receiver can't distinguish horizontal and vertical polarisation channels especially when the two frequencies used are so close to each other. (11426 -11428)

For my West Midlands location Eutelsat 28a at 28.5E correct skew is - 21.4 degress and the Astra 2 group at 28.2E requires -13.7 degrees. About halfway in between gives the best compromise.

It's not a critical alignment issue but if far enough out you get the issue described.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/LNB_skew.htm

Also see Polarisation/Skew here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

The fitter should be aware of this though I doubt he knows this basic information.

If it was a faulty lnb then why didn't his tests find this out ?

Can you check 817 Rocks and Co (11584 H) the next horizontal transponder on 28A above 11428 H.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 21:16:42 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AMS

Hi,I have just checked 817 Rocks and Co (11584 H)and there is no signal there!

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 22:04:56 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AMS - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,I have just checked 817 Rocks and Co (11584 H)and there is no signal there!

Confirms the skew as being the issue, and I guess your lnb is OK as well.

It's a shame, if the dish is accessible a fix should be very simple.

I could suggest some transponders on 28.2E to check unequal reception horizontal versus vertical if you want further evidence.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 22:13:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AMS

Hi, thanks for your help. I think I will get the ladders out at the weekend and have a go with the skew.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 22:24:43 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Before you do try

tuning to 200 (BBC News-HD -11023 H).

Now Menu-System-Diagnostics and note signal strength and quality.

Repeat by tuning to 126 (CH4 - HD - 11126 V)

The two values should be similar.

Other hints.

Using manual tune display 11428 H.

Slacken the lnb clamp screws enough to twist the lnb.

Find a setting that gives an actual signal and quality (don't expect the display to react instantly - after an adjustment leave it say 30 seconds).

Once you have a measurable quality.

Repeat by twisting in small increments after establishing which way improves the quality until the quality starts to decline. Back up to the best position.

If you have a mobile phone/video camera record each step and hopefully final success, especially home transponder results.

If this works use the evidence you have to shame and blame the so called professional you paid to get your money back :-).

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 22:54:01 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.