My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChrisSquires

I have an HDR-1000s and experienced problems with the original Seagate hard drive. The Humax technician I spoke to came to the conclusion that the hard drive had failed. Rather than throw the unit away, I purchased a WD AV 1TB 3.5" SATA Media Hard drive and swapped the two over. The unit can't seem to locate this drive either, so I'm wondering whether the hard drive was faulty after all. Any suggestions?

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 16:53:14 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our forum. A long shot, you may need to fit a jumper to pins 5 and 6 to reduce the data transfer speed.

See SATA JUMPER SETTINGS - opt 1 enabled - here

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=5473

If that doesn't work it could be the sata data controller that has failed.

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 16:58:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

My HDR-1010s 1tb box failed too on Wednesday. Switched on and no recordings and unable to pause or record or detect in storage settings. Box was only 2 years and one month old. Just out of the two year guarantee! Contacted Humax who refused to replace. Removed the HDD and replaced with a new identical one but still no response. Waste of time and money but I took that risk. Searched on eBay and this seems to be a common fault on many of these boxes. The SATA controller fails without any prior symptoms. Need to purchase a new box but have lost faith in Humax.

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 19:21:29 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

zoots - 1 hour ago  » 
    My HDR-1010s 1tb box failed too on Wednesday. Switched on and no recordings and unable to pause or record or detect in storage settings. Box was only 2 years and one month old. Just out of the two year guarantee! Contacted Humax who refused to replace. Removed the HDD and replaced with a new identical one but still no response. Waste of time and money but I took that risk. Searched on eBay and this seems to be a common fault on many of these boxes. The SATA controller fails without any prior symptoms. Need to purchase a new box but have lost faith in Humax.

I would guess this tis a firmware fault, as hardware failures rates are low parts per millions, (PRM) and we have seen several of these recently.
    Humax need to address.

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 20:57:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

REPASSAC - What do you suggest, reinstall the firmware?

| Sun 22 Nov 2015 21:42:18 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would contact freesat. Not much else can be done presently.
    When the reason for the failure has been traced I would expect either updated firmware to be issued or some other form of offer if the cause is premature hardware failure.

In my experience manufactures do not admit to problems until they know the cause.

| Mon 23 Nov 2015 8:10:20 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Interested to know if the problem happened suddenly without any other symptoms. You would expect some signs of a hard disk with issues. Loss of time shift capability, corrupted and failed recordings for instance.

| Mon 23 Nov 2015 10:45:20 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

grahamlthompson - There were no prior symptoms. The unit had been operating normally, recording programs and I had watched a recorded program only a day or two before. Upon switching the unit on I went to watch a recorded program and it said there were no recorded programs and less than 1% disk space used. Went in to settings/system settings/storage and it had a screen saying about if you wanted to record programs to attach an HDD or USB drive with no option to format.
    I then went on my iPhone to see if I could play a recorded program from the Freesat app, it shows the list of recorded programs and gave me the option to play but when pressing the play button within the app it changed to pause then back to play icon. I then tried to delete a recording via the app, it removed the program from the list within the app but when refreshed the list the recording reappeared in the app list.
    I am a computer technician for an electronics company so I am highly experienced with electronic equipment so I decided to remove the HDD, I attached the HDD to a deskptop computer and scanned the HDD with partition software which showed three partitions, two small and one large, all showing used space. The largest partition had my recorded programs.

I had read that a blank HDD can be installed and it would be formatted upon detection so I wiped the original HDD as I thought it could have corrupt data or bad sectors and reinstalled. This did not work either as the HDD was still not detected. I took the decision to purchase an identical HDD and install but the new HDD was not detected upon booting the HDR-1010S and did not show in the storage settings.

The unit is running on the current UKSFAA 2.02.46 firmware which was installed OTA upon release back in July.

I hope this help to clarify if the are some issues with the current firmware.

| Mon 23 Nov 2015 11:24:54 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

zoots - 11 minutes ago  » 
    grahamlthompson - There were no prior symptoms. The unit had been operating normally, recording programs and I had watched a recorded program only a day or two before. Upon switching the unit on I went to watch a recorded program and it said there were no recorded programs and less than 1% disk space used. Went in to settings/system settings/storage and it had a screen saying about if you wanted to record programs to attach an HDD or USB drive with no option to format.
    I then went on my iPhone to see if I could play a recorded program from the Freesat app, it shows the list of recorded programs and gave me the option to play but when pressing the play button within the app it changed to pause then back to play icon. I then tried to delete a recording via the app, it removed the program from the list within the app but when refreshed the list the recording reappeared in the app list.
    I am a computer technician for an electronics company so I am highly experienced with electronic equipment so I decided to remove the HDD, I attached the HDD to a deskptop computer and scanned the HDD with partition software which showed three partitions, two small and one large, all showing used space. The largest partition had my recorded programs.
    I had read that a blank HDD can be installed and it would be formatted upon detection so I wiped the original HDD as I thought it could have corrupt data or bad sectors and reinstalled. This did not work either as the HDD was still not detected. I took the decision to purchase an identical HDD and install but the new HDD was not detected upon booting the HDR-1010S and did not show in the storage settings.
    The unit is running on the current UKSFAA 2.02.46 firmware which was installed OTA upon release back in July.
    I hope this help to clarify if the are some issues with the current firmware.

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. The fact that you could actually see disk partitioning on a PC indicates that the Disk was most likely OK. My HDR1000S is 3 yrs old approx. (as is Reassac's). We both replaced the Seagate standard with a 2TB WD AV specced drive a short time after purchase. So far not experienced any hard drive related problems at all. Whether Humax have used different hardware on newer models, not sure.

| Mon 23 Nov 2015 11:42:06 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have seen the problem with no recordings, like you it was immediately after bringing it out of standby. In my case I did not look at storage settings and did a standby cycle. This time I waited for another minute before looking at recordings and they were all back.

Not seen the problem again but now I avoid looking at recordings right away.

One thing you could try is to operate the unit without a hard disk then power it down and return the disk.

| Mon 23 Nov 2015 13:42:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.