My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

help - unable to use ondemand or showcase

(935 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Does anyone know the rationâle for waiting an hour after the reset?

| Fri 17 Oct 2014 20:49:48 #551 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I'd imagine they've changed the ttl 'time to live' down to an hour or less for their dns entries, i.e. time the client should wait before checking/renewing dns.
    If it were previously 1 day then it would take 24 hours which may explain their older advice of leaving it overnight.
    Freesat do seem to be struggling though, I assume users are being tracked so maybe a mixture of stale/invalid session id's and/or invalid dns.

| Fri 17 Oct 2014 23:39:48 #552 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If it is a indication that they think the problem is fixed, freesat have removed their link to the problem.

JamesB - 9 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know the rationâle for waiting an hour after the reset?

Data is transmitted along with freesat programmes to, for example, control the red button, register new channels arriving and to record showcase entries. I imagine the hour is to pickup this and perhaps other data.

damian, they would need to wait for a whole day after such a change for ISP's cached entries to become stale. Most production service providers would route packets at their end. That way they can make instant changes when necessary.

Rocksta, Domestic routers (but those running DD-WRT can install a DNS server) but otherwise do not cache entries which PC's do, they forward requests to the WAN's DNS. The article I found (Wikipedia) for your keywords refers to a DNS cache. What commends on your router enable your DNS cache to be managed?

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 7:19:58 #553 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    If it is a indication that they think the problem is fixed, freesat have removed their link to the problem.

Fingers crossed

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 8:41:03 #554 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

REPASSAC - 4 hours ago  » 
    damian, they would need to wait for a whole day after such a change for ISP's cached entries to become stale.
    Rocksta, What commends on your router enable your DNS cache to be managed?

If the ttl were 24 hours and freesat changed ttl to one hour, and the emphasis is on 'if', then it would take 24 hours for that initial change to propogate so initially they'd be asking users to wait 24 hours, then after the change had been propogated one hour should be enough. None of us know for sure what freesat have been up to, but I'd imagine that they changed the ttl amongst other stuff. Whether freesat have the ability to re-route at their end is debatable, they seem to have struggled thus far.

On my domestic router to clear the dns I use the command 'multid -s' to stop the service, and 'multid' to start it. I'd have to telnet/ssh to the router and there's no GUI command in common with most routers. On other domestic routers, dlink etc the command 'disable auto DNS' etc. etc.. The majority of routers are locked down and at most just have a basic web GUI so the only effective way to flush dns is to reboot the router. This has little effect though if the ISP's dns is wrong. It's quite possible that 901/903 would work and showcase not if dns were wrong.

On a windows machine you'd use the 'ipconfig /flushdns' or similar at an elevated, if necessary, command prompt. There will be a command on the hdr1000s, but as it's locked down nobody can use it or diagnose problems which then forces users to reset and wait in hope/vain.

It's also possible that it takes an hour to populate the box with the necessary data or updated data is transmitted hourly or more regularly than previously. Who knows for sure?

We're up to page 56 now and I still reckon this could have been diagnosed by page 2 if freesat hadn't have locked down the box

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 12:36:02 #555 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Eric

Hate to say this but my problem is still the same. I have tried all the suggestions and still not fixed. I can get iplayer on ch 901 but due to UTVs reluctance to allow the ITV player here in N. Ireland I can't get Ch 5 on demand. I live in hope that some day the tech people who created the problem will correct their mistakes!

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 14:43:32 #556 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

I want free DTV

Eric - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Hate to say this but my problem is still the same. I have tried all the suggestions and still not fixed. I can get iplayer on ch 901 but due to UTVs reluctance to allow the ITV player here in N. Ireland I can't get Ch 5 on demand. I live in hope that some day the tech people who created the problem will correct their mistakes!

Looks like people are discussing it as a DNS problem (entering manual IP address has fixed for my friend using 8.8.8.8 as DNS), are you using wifi stb or connected direct using a ethernet cable to your router (i.e. not using a homeplug adapter)?

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 15:12:34 #557 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

damian,
    I my reply I excluded routers running firmware such as DD-WRT or ones that you can install a full DNS and service(s). They are not found in most home environments.
    As you say the majority (the overwhelming majority) of routers present to the user, their own interface and do not allow access at the Linux level (which most run). I have not seen anywhere on a router specification a DNS cache mentioned. If I try a nslookup from my router I just get timeouts to the server command.

In any case what I cannot see how a IP address change could effect some users only for several weeks.

If the HDT-10x0S's were not locked down and you had access at Linux level there is not a lot extra you could see - about the only piece of info I can imagine is the results nslookup or ipconfig commands. What I do know is that a factory rest on a working unit did not cause it to stop working.

I believe freesat's servers are managed by Peer1.

This thread has quite some speculation in it (by myself as well), Including Humax hardware changes, DNS changes. The only facts seem to be that it was working for all before the new showcase, and ceased working for some after. Additionally freesat hold their hands up to be their problem.

Hopefully the problem is now resolved - I see little point in continuing this discussion.

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 15:19:39 #558 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I want free DTV - 9 minutes ago  » 

Eric - 26 minutes ago  » 

Looks like people are discussing it as a DNS problem (entering manual IP address has fixed for my friend using 8.8.8.8 as DNS), are you using wifi stb or connected direct using a ethernet cable to your router (i.e. not using a homeplug adapter)?

It is more probable that simply reselecting connect automatically (the last freesat advice) would have also solved it.

Suggest you contact freesat.

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 15:24:16 #559 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bilbo1903

For all you guys who are still having problems with on demand this worked for me: SETTINGS - SYSTEM SETTINGS - POWER SAVING - Within power saving set automatic power down to Off and standby mode to Normal.
    Put freetime box to standby for a few secs then switch on again, on demand should now be available.

| Sat 18 Oct 2014 15:54:54 #560 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.