Humax and freeview play

(102 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

"We’re expecting additional Players from other Freeview channels to come on in due course,” notes Howling.

UKTV, no doubt.

VuTV?

| Fri 15 May 2015 14:51:37 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I may be missing something here. However, apart from the third tuner my 1000s Freesat box alredy has those on-demand services.
    Of course I realise that not everyone wants or is able to put a dish on their home.
    I still feel that Freesat is a massively under utilised resource. Whether that's a political decision I really couldn't say. It is a real shame though.

Not really a resource, the way the spectrum is a resource.

Freeview Play is significant because of Freeview's market share. If the bulk of consumers continue to see Freeview as "the" TV service for the UK, eventually Freeview Play may rule by sheer force of numbers, as sets get upgraded.

That's a sizeable "if", though.

| Fri 15 May 2015 15:13:11 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Well it's apparent from the link I posted that Panasonic, having flirted with Freetime on their 2014 series TVs, are now planning to revert to Freeview Play on their 2015+ series. So numbers win out in this case I suggest. I seriously wonder what future Freesat has other than a niche service for those on Freeview Lite. Already the books heavy in the red will the players who sponsored Freesat continue to do so. Maybe only to service that niche, which does not bode well for technology developments in Freesat/Freetime to match those in Freeview.

| Fri 15 May 2015 15:38:44 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's YouView who are Freeview's main competition now, not Freesat. Sony have opted for YouView. Samsung haven't committed to either.

I agree the prospects for Freesat seem uncertain. Last year a BBC Trust report on distribution costs recommended the BBC's involvement in ongoing development of three separate platforms be reviewed. It may be that the BBC has reduced its contribution to Freesat development following that recommendation.

| Fri 15 May 2015 15:58:18 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

http://www.lsvc.co.uk/acatalog/FVP4000T1TBCAPP.html

Nice!

Presumably only a teaser listing, as FreeView Play is not yet live. But gives a bit of info.

FVP-4000T 1TB Freeview Play HD Recorder, 1TB, Roll Back Guide, Triple Tuners, Wi-Fi Built In, Humax TV Portal, 600 Hours SD/250 Hours HD Recording, Remote Control Via Humax APP, Cappuccino

Remote Control via Humax App....is this going to allow remote recording, I wonder?

Attachments

1. image.jpg (9.6 KB, 6 downloads) 8 years old
    | Tue 7 Jul 2015 9:37:59 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

terryh

As someone who has a FOX T2 and been waiting on the Freeview Play platform I am happy that Humax has got this out there.

I emailed the company on the link above and they have said they expect stock by the end of the month, so shouldn't be much longer to wait.

| Wed 8 Jul 2015 16:05:28 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Maybe Humax will time the box launch in line with the launch of Freeview Play.

| Wed 8 Jul 2015 17:07:47 #28 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 41 minutes ago  » 

I would have thought this would be the logical thing to do.

| Wed 8 Jul 2015 17:51:20 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

terryh

JamesB - 5 hours ago  » 

Is there any news on when that might be?

Thankfully I held off getting YouView before the news of Freeview Play and very keen to get a new Humax with Freeview Play.

| Wed 8 Jul 2015 22:40:47 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.