My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Iplayer on FoxT2 unusable

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

Hi.

It might be worth experimenting with another DNS server address - you never know! Try google 8.8.8.8 or opendns 208.67.222.222.

Regards.

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 17:13:46 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sprocketman

Tried everything. Wasted my weekend on this heap of junk.

Flat panel TV with HDMI connection to Humax. Iplayer still unusable.

Static IP address, Google DNS 8.8.8.8 - Iplayer still unusable.

Plugged in a Sony Blu Ray unit (with built in Iplayer) into my router - works beautifully. This is why I want Iplayer on my telly. Soooo nice. Watched Horizon. Black holes. Mind blowing.

This Humax Fox T2 is an overpriced piece of junk or I have a faulty unit. So far Humax support have not replied to my email. Classy service.

I am minded to get my money back from John Lewis's and just use the Sony Blu Ray player instead to watch Iplayer and stick with the old PVR unit.

Maybe I should throw this Humax box into a black hole and watch it go over the event horizon. You know as an experiment for science.

| Sun 19 Feb 2012 23:57:20 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeremyWW

sprocketman - 11 hours ago  » 
    Tried everything. Wasted my weekend on this heap of junk.
    Flat panel TV with HDMI connection to Humax. Iplayer still unusable.
    Static IP address, Google DNS 8.8.8.8 - Iplayer still unusable.
    Plugged in a Sony Blu Ray unit (with built in Iplayer) into my router - works beautifully. This is why I want Iplayer on my telly. Soooo nice. Watched Horizon. Black holes. Mind blowing.
    This Humax Fox T2 is an overpriced piece of junk or I have a faulty unit. So far Humax support have not replied to my email. Classy service.
    I am minded to get my money back from John Lewis's and just use the Sony Blu Ray player instead to watch Iplayer and stick with the old PVR unit.
    Maybe I should throw this Humax box into a black hole and watch it go over the event horizon. You know as an experiment for science.

For whatever reason you've been unlucky. I can't agree that it's a piece of junk - I'm chuffed with mine. So lets assume it's faulty. Happily you bought it from a store who's customer service is second to none - back to JL for a refund I suggest, as the box you have is 'unfit for purpose'.

| Mon 20 Feb 2012 11:44:36 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Macaroon

Hi, does anyone know if a resoltion to this issue was ever found? I just bought my box, have uploaded the latest software via PC and I cant play youtube or iplayer videos.

On iplayer, I get the banner at the bottom but nothing ever actually plays, the tv programme remains in the background for a few seconds, then the sound drops out, but the iplayer selection never appears.

I have pinged the IP address from my laptop and it's fine. I've reset Router and powered off box. And now I am all out of ideas and feeling like I have just wasted a lot of money

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 19:51:38 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dandnsmith

I think you must be rather unlucky - it has worked perfectly for me everytime I've had occasion to try it (not saying it is a good implementation, as it's virtually uncontrollable in that I cannot fast forward or otherwise change the position within the 'recording' - unlike when using my PC. Could it be that your internet connection has some odd port blocks implemented at some end point? Have you tried iPlayer on a PC?

Derek

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 20:22:55 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Macaroon

iplayer works perfectly via my laptop so I know that the router can cope with it, just can't work out what the problem is when connecting via the box

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 22:22:42 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I was having problems every now and again a while ago, but it's been fine recently.

I'm assuming laptops, ps3's, ip tv's and other devices have different apps and different servers to connect to? So this may account for different experiences.
    Also I'm assuming the laptop and box are both connected via network cable and not wifi

Lastly, isp's will be throttling back connections at busy times and there will be different information in the headers of the packets being sent to your laptop and fox t2. isp's will be able to determine where traffic is coming from and going to and this could be in direct competition with their own offerings. Most if not all isp's traffic/packet shape in one form or another, which is a nice word for restricting data flow

It'd be useful to know whether devices are cabled or wireless and also the isp used. I don't use wireless and my isp is talktalk and I don't have any problems with iplayer at the moment. My guess would be that certain isp's are packet shaping.

It'd be interesting to see if somebody could try their poor performing iplayer box on a different broadband connection (neighbour/friend etc), really interesting.

| Thu 6 Sep 2012 22:49:55 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dandnsmith

I use a wireless connection for my Humax, and wired (mostly) for my PCs. My ISP is Xilo(Uno) with local connection using C&W exchange equipment. I have had problems, occasionally, with iPlayer and BBC radio programmes from a PC - which I took to mean the server was busy, as the service would usually come good later (this at times which wouldn't be expected to be network congested, so it could be maintenance).
    Derek

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 8:42:29 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Macaroon

laptop is wireless, Humax connected via cable....I'll try switching off wifi on laptop and connect cable to see if iplayer still works on laptop with the cable....thanks!

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 10:43:25 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Macaroon

Right, switched off wifi on laptop, connected via the LAN I have been using for Humax, and it works perfectly.

My isp is Plusnet...sounds like I might need to speak them about the problem....thanks for the help, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 10:56:10 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.