My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

MKV stream

(10 posts)
  1. shadowhood

shadowhood

I have the WiFi dongle and it finds my network OK but unfortunately does not show (let alone play) any .MKV material I have. Also it doesn't play large size JPEG photos smoothly either.

It detects and plays MP4 files no problem but does not even show any MKV files on my system (which are definitely there). I bought TP Link Home plugs today to see if that would address the problem but it didn't. It still does not detect the larger files. It can detect and play these type of files if I transfer them to a flash USB drive but I want to play them directly from the PC.

The home plugs are from Maplin and are the Power line version. They are installed correctly and showing all correct LED's. They are all on the same ring main as well.

The Media Server is just on my Windows 7 PC. I noticed Graham had mentioned something about a Twonky server. I loaded that on the PC successfully, and when I viewed my Video folder that I wanted to share, it also never showed the .MKV files. Is there a streaming problem with .MKV files? I also noticed Graham saying that he converted .MKV to .TS but the time I take to do that, I'd be quicker puting them on a USB and playing them directly from the STB.

As usual, any input is greatly appreciated.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 15:50:59 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What file type is in is in the MKV container?

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 16:00:55 #2 |
  3. shadowhood

shadowhood

Sorry for my ignorance, not sure what you mean by this. The properties window states them as ".mkv" files.
    How would I find this information?

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 17:28:01 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

shadowhood - 1 minute ago  » 
    Sorry for my ignorance, not sure what you mean by this. The properties window states them as ".mkv" files.

MKV is a file container. It can be used for a variety of video and audio formats. Medianinfo (free) will tell you exactly what is inside the container. Look at the treeview option which tells you everything.

There's an explanation of what various file container formats limitations are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 17:31:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

You might consider transcoding DLNA server software such as Plex; see Link to Plex website

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 18:18:26 #5 |
  6. shadowhood

shadowhood

Thanks guys, I've ran the mediainfo program with the attached photo showing results of one of my .mkv files. The container information says the Video is AVC and the Audio is AC-3. Is this the information required?

Attachments

1. Mediainfo.jpg (105.8 KB, 0 downloads) 9 years old
    | Tue 28 Oct 2014 18:40:15 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can export the full information as a text file from treeview.

The video is AVC 720p24 with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Never tried 720p24 but 1080p24 is playable.

If TSMUXERgui will open the file, try changing the container to .ts. (transport stream is the native container used by Humax pvrs)

Changing the container will be very fast as no video recoding is required

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 19:03:14 #7 |
  8. shadowhood

shadowhood

Attached is the photo of the treeview information. I still have no idea what I'm looking at here.

Attachments

1. mediainfo2.jpg (148.8 KB, 3 downloads) 9 years old
    | Tue 28 Oct 2014 20:48:59 #8 |
  9. shadowhood

shadowhood

What did you mean by TSMUXERgui? Is it a software program I can use to open it and change the format to .ts? I know gui is Graphic User Interface but that's it I'm afraid...

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 20:51:33 #9 |
  10. shadowhood

shadowhood

Ok, found the program and changed the output to .TS and it worked. Many thanks for the help on this, as usual folks.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 21:30:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.