My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

my hdr fox t2 keeps "clicking"

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Hi all. Newbie here so not sure whether i have put this in the correct section. Apologies if i haven't!!
    My hdr t2 (1tb) has recently started making a clicking noise intermittently (the same noise as when you power on or off the unit). It causes the picture to go glitchy on recordings and some recordings do not work properly (for example it will record the first 25 min of a hour long programme but the rest is missing). I phoned humax to seek advice and they suggested formatting the hdd. As i have a lot of recordings stored i had to copy these to an external drive...i managed to get the t2 to format a 2tb seagate external hdd...and then copied what i had recorded onto it...in the process of deleting stuff off the hdr t2 it got stuck on delete and would not come out of the "delete loop" (?!) I used advice from a thread on this forum to install firmware 1.09 using a usb drive (many thanks to those concerned). This cleared the delete loop. I then deleted everything and formatted the box and returned it to factory settings but it still makes the clicking noise (more often when its been on for a while or on the HD channels). Is the hard drive broke or is there another solution that i havent been able to find? Thanks

| Thu 12 Jun 2014 23:30:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 11 hours ago  » 
    Is the hard drive broke or is there another solution that i havent been able to find?

It certainly sounds as though the hard drive is having problems. The easiest way to be certain would be to install the custom firmware which will allow you to see the statistics about the health of the hard drive (SMART data). Changing the hard drive is not difficult nor too expensive if it is necessary.

| Fri 13 Jun 2014 11:00:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Thanks for reply. I have read the posts about installing custom firmware but i dont have broadband and I aint too techno savvy so its a bit above my head. I just use my phone if i want to use internet and a friends pc when i downloaded version 1.09 onto usb stick. I did the check hdd function when i had the latest ota firmware (1.32??) Which said there was no fault when there obviously was one! I have a five year warranty with Richer Sounds so will probably take it to be fixed if the drive is knackered, I just wondered whether anyone else had the same problem. Plus I didnt want to be without it during the World Cup...still, Richer Sounds have offered a loan of a PVR until its fixed...I just hope its a T2 then i can save the England matches to an external drive if we get to the final!! Can files recorded on other humax pvrs or other brands be played on the T2??

| Fri 13 Jun 2014 21:28:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Can files recorded on other humax pvrs or other brands be played on the T2??

I don't know about other brands; for the HDr-FOX T2 and HDR-2000T then SD files copied to an external drive will be decrytpted and can be played on a different machine; HD recordings will remain encrypted and only playable on the machine that made the recording.

| Fri 13 Jun 2014 22:06:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

So if they give me a new T2 to replace the broken one, will the HD recordings that i transferred to an external drive be playable on the new machine?

| Fri 13 Jun 2014 22:30:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 1 hour ago  » 
    So if they give me a new T2 to replace the broken one, will the HD recordings that i transferred to an external drive be playable on the new machine?

No.

| Fri 13 Jun 2014 23:35:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

How about if they just replace the hdd on the unit. Will the HD recordings on the external drive be watchable? Also, I find the buttons on the remote have become gradually more unresponsive, even with new batteries, and the ones used more often seem to be getting loose. Are there any sturdier and better made remotes that work on the T2?? As to buy a new RM 04 at £25-30 seems expensive given how long it will prob last (I have had the T2 for about 26-27 months)

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 0:16:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 4 minutes ago  » 
    How about if they just replace the hdd on the unit. Will the HD recordings on the external drive be watchable?

Yes.

Also, I find the buttons on the remote have become gradually more unresponsive, even with new batteries, and the ones used more often seem to be getting loose.

Doesn't the extended warranty cover the remote?

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 0:23:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

I asked whether the warranty covers the remote and apparently it doesnt! Though they said phone Humax and they may be able to help. Can the custom firmware be installed by just dowloading it to a usb stick and plugging that in the usb slot? I just tried the hdd check on the T2 in the system menu and it says no fault! Looks like I will have to take it to be repaired!

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 18:07:19 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 2 hours ago  » 
    Can the custom firmware be installed by just dowloading it to a usb stick and plugging that in the usb slot?

Yes but that only gives you the basic system without the web interface. Could you take the Humax to a friends house to install the full interface (an Internet connection isn't required after the installation)?

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 20:36:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.