My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

my hdr fox t2 keeps "clicking"

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Yeah I could, but I read that you have to use telnet and I have no idea how to do all that as I am pretty useless with computers! Is the web interface necessary as I never use the tv portal or iplayer stuff anyway?

| Sat 14 Jun 2014 22:05:40 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 3 hours ago  » 
    Yeah I could, but I read that you have to use telnet and I have no idea how to do all that as I am pretty useless with computers! Is the web interface necessary as I never use the tv portal or iplayer stuff anyway?

The web interface would allow you to see the hard disk status data (SMASRT data) by point and click and that would quickly say whether the disk is really on its way out or has a problem that may be fixable. telnet really isn't impossibly difficult and there is a good article at Link to huumy.tv wiki article on telnet.

| Sun 15 Jun 2014 1:49:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Thanks for the link. I may install the custom firmware at some stage in the future but for now I think I will take it to be repaired. The warranty was only £30 so its probably cheaper and easier than buying a new hdd and fitting it myself! Many thanks for your advice Martin

| Tue 17 Jun 2014 19:14:56 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Finally had to take it to be fixed as it started behaving normally for a month or so then suddenly just went mental again but worse than before. They had it for a week to repair it and got it back earlier. New hard drive fitted apparently, and lo and behold it started making the same clicking noise within a few hours of use (recording and watching something). Is there any other mechanism that could be making the clicking noise that is the real cause of the fault? ( recordings etc seem fine so far just that annoying clicking!). Also tried doing the hdd test in the settings>system>data storage menu but doesnt work...first time was error code 8 i think and now it is error code 10 after trying the test a few times. Have formatted the new disk and factory reset also. Yet still the clicking persists. Not entirely convinced that they fitted a new hdd at the mo. Could something else be causing the problem other than the hdd... eg virus (somehow??) or some other mechanical part. From what i read its something to do with the drive reader?? Any info/help will be much appreciated thanks!

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 1:25:34 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Anderoo,

who repaired it?
    Do you have a repair sheet detailing exactly what was done, was it under warranty or did you pay and if so how much.

It does sound as if they haven't changed the disk or if they have they've put a different faulty disk back in.

There are no moving parts inside really apart from the disk and fan. If it was Richer Sounds under warranty then you need to get it back to them. I'd put money on whoever did the 'repair' simply formatted the disk (like you did), possibly factory reset it and gave it a couple of minutes before giving it a thumbs up and returning it as good and working. You need to let them know that the fault appears after a few hours continuous use.

If they won't or can't repair it then you could always replace the drive yourself, it sounds daunting, but it's fairly easy and covered in more than enough posts if you search the forum.

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 3:20:35 #15 |
  6. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Cynical as I am, I bet that they have simply formatted your existing HDD. I hope I am wrong.

The only other moving part in the HDR is the fan. With standard firmware this does not run all the time, it kicks-in when needed. It is possible that this is worn. However, it is unlikely to cause you picture issues unless the box was severely overheating.

I mention that in passing. I really thing your problem is HDD related.

Just buy a new AV rated HDD and fit it. Bobby's job. No soldering required.

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 8:05:54 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 9 hours ago  » 
    Also tried doing the hdd test in the settings>system>data storage menu but doesnt work...first time was error code 8 i think and now it is error code 10 after trying the test a few times.

Sounds to me as though the test is working and is telling you that there is a problem with the hard drive.

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 10:49:21 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Thanks all for your input. Can't find anything about what the error actually means on the web.
    Damian... the warranty was with the company you mentioned so will have to phone them and see what they have to say. The timeshift seems to work now which it didnt before "repair" but the clicking noise is present and recordings disappear off the media menu and reappear when system rebooted. I also noticed a message on front panel on start up that says custom firm.. i think...only glanced it before it disappeared and didnt have time to check again as i had to go out. Also the warranty seal is intact so i dont know if they stuck a new one back on or can access the hdd without breaking the seal (unlikely??). All in all not impressed with the service although they only had it a week which is pretty quick. Plus the remote is apparently not covered by the warranty...seems like a cop out. Why have a warranty that doesnt cover all the product??!!

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 18:34:18 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Anderoo - 1 hour ago  » 
    I also noticed a message on front panel on start up that says custom firm..

If you have the custom firmware installed then you can point a web browser at the Humax and (assuming you have the full web interface) under Diagnostics select Hard Drive and then tell us the values of the following attributes
    5 Reallocated_sector_ct
    197 Current_pending_sector
    198 Offline_uncorrectable

Also right at the bottom of the page are the results of the hard drive tests; tell us what they say.

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 20:01:18 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anderoo

Not sure if I have the custom firmware installed (i have never installed it!)but it shows Cust EW2.23 after the Start System message. I dont have a pc either so not sure if the web interface is present and cannot do diagnostic stuff either. Maybe a possibility to take it to a friends and have a try but i am seriously duff at using computers!! Is it possible to access the hdd physically without breaking the humax warranty seal? It seems to me that they tried to repair it by using the web interface etc without replacing the hdd maybe?

| Fri 12 Sep 2014 22:08:08 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.