My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Permanent *Deleting...

(92 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

Hi!

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 bought from Humax Direct, system ID 80BC.7E00 . It is running Software version FHTCP 1.02.28, Loader version a7.30, MICOM version 9.3, Mac Address 00:03:78:B9:90:9C

The system is connected via a HDMI cable to a tv, and has a coax input. It is not connected to any internet devices and I do not have the ability to connect to it.

The Humax box is stuck trying to Delete something, showing the “* Deleting...” message from the Media – Video. Nothing has been requested to be deleted – the box is assuming something has to be deleted. This means I cannot record anything, cannot re-tune to access the new Olympic channels and cannot do much that the TV can do on its own.

The problem does not seem to be unique to us and has appeared in the discussion forums before, but I cannot find simple step-by-step instructions about how to fix it:

I have also searched the HUMAX FAQs and found no helpful information.

I have tried powering the box off, and disconnecting the power supply for over an hour and it makes no difference.

PLease help!

| Fri 27 Jul 2012 16:39:23 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

and apologises for the slow response, as you might gather a little busy with issues on another product.

1. Confirm this is and HDR Fox T2 (I can then move this to correct area)

2. Are you familiar with the software update procedure via usb?

| Fri 27 Jul 2012 19:26:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

Hi!
    Yes, it is a HDR Fox T2.
    No, I am not familiar with hte software update procedure via USB, but do have a USB stick I could download a file on to if you beleive this will fix the problem. However, most of the SYSTEMS options are greyed out and not available as the disk is "busy" deleting.

Many thanks!

| Fri 27 Jul 2012 22:46:52 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Don't worry about the greyed out options.

Download and install version 1.01.09 from the link below, boot box after update, all should be well, then upload the latest again from the same link 1.02.28

Instructions for updating are included in the zipped download files.

http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freeview-hd-t2

If that does not work then post again.

| Fri 27 Jul 2012 22:53:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

Hi!

I swapped back to version 1.01.09 and the problem had gone! I successfully paused live TV (which I was unable to do previously) and the "* Deleting ..." tag had gone.

I then moved to the latest version 1.02.28 and the problem was back!

I'll move back to 1.01.09 for now, but would 1.02.20 be worth a try, do you think?

BTW - My wife managed to get through to Humax Support who said there was nothing that could be done as the Hard Drive was irrepairably damaged. They offered either to replace the HDD (3 week turn around time) or to exchange it for a refurbished HDD. Eitherway, we would loose everything recorded.

To me it looks like there is a fault in the software which I strongly hope Humax fix in their next release. We have another, older, Humax box which has also been plagued by software problems. Seems like it is a huge and fundamental weakness with Humax and their products. Coming from a software background, I know this culture is not always simple to turn around!

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 8:19:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JeffPHurst - 41 minutes ago  » 
    I'll move back to 1.01.09 for now, but would 1.02.20 be worth a try, do you think?

The simplest solution to your problem would be to install 1.02.20 (which I think will still show the permanent deleting problem). Then install the custom firmware which will give telnet access. Then isssue the commands:

rm /mnt/hd1/filebglastop.dat
    reboot

BTW - My wife managed to get through to Humax Support who said there was nothing that could be done as the Hard Drive was irrepairably damaged.

Nonsense from Humax support.

There is a single file that is corrupt. What I don't understand is that there are two flavours of this problem. One that is fixed by installing 1.01.09 and then reinstalling the latest version and one where the problem reappears when the latest version is reinstalled.

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 9:10:16 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Surprised the downgrade/upgrade did not work, there is one more thing you can try see your PM's

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 9:55:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barry - 55 minutes ago  » 
    Surprised the downgrade/upgrade did not work

Barry, I have seen a good few reports of this problem and in about 50% of cases the downgrade/upgrade procedure works but in others it doesn't; no idea why.

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 10:52:27 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

THANKYOU for the comments and information and all your time helping us out.

As the 1.01.09 software works, we are using that and catching up on the recording programmes.

I note your comments about the downgrade/upgrade not working for all, and in one of the posts, I seem to remember the size of disk space remaining being a concern. In our case the disk was over 75% full and it is a 1TB model. While we cannot remember deleting anything to trigger the problem, I wonder if the software can cope with deleting a huge HD film. I have noticed that it takes 15-20 seconds to delete a 1 hour HD programme with version 1.01.09 - which seems slow to me.

Anyway, thanks to your help we are able to watch the Olympic events we want to, which is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 11:19:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JeffPHurst - 15 minutes ago  » 
    I wonder if the software can cope with deleting a huge HD film. I have noticed that it takes 15-20 seconds to delete a 1 hour HD programme with version 1.01.09 - which seems slow to me.

The HDR uses the Linux EXT3 file system and it is well know that deletion of large files is slow on any computer using EXT3 (which is why the background delete was introduced) and there is nothing unusual about the Humax implementation.

| Sat 28 Jul 2012 11:37:54 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.