My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR 9200t problems - especially transferring files

(22 posts)
  1. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

IIRC from when people were starting to mod the 9200t there were several USB-IDE adapters that failed to work correctly. I had one sent to me for testing where the 2.5 inch drive connector worked but not the 3.5 inch side.

I think it should show up as USB to ATAPI bridge in Device Manager and then the drive as a separate item, NB as Damian says the drive must not be initialised by windows. It must not be allocated a drive letter. It can only be read by humaxrw.

| Wed 10 Apr 2013 18:15:36 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason_z

Thank you all so much - didn't expect to have three people helping me - this is great!

I almost have it working. I made two changes last night:

(1) I had made a mistake with the jumper. The Humax drive *did* already have a jumper on, which set it as cable select. I didn't see it before as it was pushed very far in. So, my adding a second jumper (late on in my attempts) doubtless made the drive unusable at that stage.

(2) On the two Windows 7 systems, I installed in Windows Update any optional update that mentioned drivers. I think they were called (on both machines) User-Mode Drivers and Kernel-Mode Drivers. I'm pretty sure that I had to reboot twice before these took effect.

I also followed Damian's instructions about what order to do things in. Despite the power lead, the Humax disk seemed inactive until I plugged the USB cable into the PC, at which point it audibly spun up.

Windows 7 Ultimate behaved weirdly, listing my Humax drive *twice* (!) as Disk 5: under Disk Management, and not letting me access it with humaxrw. It also tried to get me to initialise my disk (don't worry, I said no). My netbook running 7 Starter, however, behaved well: it showed me a single drive Disk 1: in Disk Management and, hooray, allowed me to list my Humax files!

While I was making space on the Windows file system to do some transferring, the Humax disk went to sleep and was deemed as USB Device Not Recognised when I plugged it in a second time. I guess that Windows needed a reboot, but at this stage it was quite late to do more work on it.

As a next step, a colleague is going to lend me his USB-IDE adapter and then I will see if I fare any better with a better model...

| Thu 11 Apr 2013 11:04:45 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason_z

An update... and alas another problem.

I used my colleague's superior IDE-to-USB adapter to copy off all the files. I then figured that I have to put the drive back into the Humax to format it, before copying anything back on. However, the Humax doesn't see the drive now. I believe I've put the jumper setting back to how it was (Cable Select) and the cables look attached right - I think the drive spins up briefly when the Humax is powered on. But the Humax onscreen menu option 'Recorded Programmes' is gone. Instead, at the bottom, 'Games' is now there instead. If I disconnect the drive and restart the Humax, the onscreen display looks the same as it does if the drive is connected, so I assume that the Humax can't see the drive.

I reseated the power and IDE connections to no avail. Do you think that Windows 7 has done something to the drive? The data did seem to come off okay. I just need to reformat it... and persuade the Humax to see it again.

| Thu 11 Apr 2013 21:42:28 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I wouldn't think win7 has done anything to the drive.
    You get the games menu when the 9200T can't find the drive.

I'm not too sure about cable select CS, I'd be tempted to use master.

One of the first things I did with my 9200 when I got it many years ago was to put a bigger drive in it. Ever since then when I power it on at the back it always goes into the games menu, putting it into standby and restarting it got the drive visible again and it would start up normally.

I never did get to the bottom of it and I lived with the work around of starting it twice if ever the power had gone off. The original drive always worked properly though during testing. I can't remember whether I might have manually redone the partition table on the new drive, but none of this should be necessary with your original drive.

My advice, set the jumper for master, unless somebody knows for sure that it should be different, check the ide pins and make sure none are bent, re-install in the 9200t taking particular care with the ide connector, power up and if necessary power cycle it and/or in and out of standby a couple of times if you get the games menu. Always wait 10 - 15 seconds between powering up and down.
    If this doesn't work, and you've already rescued your files, then without linux I think you should try formatting it to fat32 with windows. Make sure it's a full format and not quick, also run any disk error checking option. If it's clean with windows then I don't see why it shouldn't work when re-installed in the 9200t, you should get a message asking to format it. If you do get to formatting it; let it finish, it can take a while.

| Fri 12 Apr 2013 0:17:02 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

damian - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not too sure about cable select CS, I'd be tempted to use master.
    /blockquote>
    My recollection is that the correct setting is cable select. I agree with the advice to check for bent pins.

| Fri 12 Apr 2013 0:24:41 #15 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Yes the correct jumper setting is cable select and the cable sets the drive to master so having the jumper in master shouldn't cause any problems.

| Fri 12 Apr 2013 0:39:49 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason_z

Well I am very embarrassed but... I have broken my PVR, irretrievably I expect.

On the positive side, I got all the data off, it has had good use (over 5 years) and I did already want to upgrade to something with HDMI anyway - the output is going via SCART to S-video and then into an almost-HD projector, meaning that the picture is not always satisfactory.

Still, it's a bit of a waste. I was trying lots of jumper alternatives - Master, Cable Select, putting it one way round and then another - and always switching the PVR off at its rocker switch when I did so. But I was tired, and must have lost track of the order I was doing things in, and I think I changed the jumper while the PVR was switched on. At any rate, I pressed the rocker switch, and it blew.

If only I had unplugged it at the wall, or read Damian's last mail in time, which might have helped... oh well. Neither the PVR nor the drive (over USB) switch on now. At least I didn't injure myself, or my (fairly new) projector.

Am tempted by the graded HDR-FOX T2/1TB-G as a replacement (I would go for 500GB, but the colleague who lent me the USB-IDE adapter says that HD files take up a lot more space).

*Sigh*.

| Fri 12 Apr 2013 13:02:09 #17 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I doubt you'd blow anything by fiddling with the jumper, I would say something else caused the failure. The jumper is just a shorting link, a bit of metal shaped to fit the pins, it doesn't matter which way round you put it on.

| Fri 12 Apr 2013 14:15:53 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

With the unit unplugged; you may find a 20mmm glass cartridge fuse which could have blown or maybe the 3A fuse in your 3pin plug top. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it working or at least there are a couple of simple checks, mainly fuses, possibly diodes, but my guess is that you've already been tempted with the graded hdr-fox-t2.

I still recommend the hdr-fox-t2 along with the custom firmware; it's simply brilliant. I'd go for the 500GB and put the difference towards an external drive or NAS if needed, that way you can archive/backup not only the hdr, but also your other pc equipment. I have a 2TB and it's still not enough, neither would a 4TB etc. etc. I'm always having to delete stuff and this would happen on a 200GB just as easily as 2TB after a couple of months use.

Other people will recommend the later boxes, but as soon as anybody mentions the word 'app' or itv-player I fall asleep. The idea of catch-up is great, however the hdr-fox-t2 will give you i-player (all that I need) and other equipment such as ps3's, pc's, tablets, blu-ray's (the list goes on) and even new tv's tend to have some form of connectivity for catching-up.

Whether you go for a 500GB or 1TB is personal choice, you wouldn't regret either as both make sense.

| Mon 15 Apr 2013 12:18:10 #19 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

If you go for the 500GB you can upgrade the HDD later on if you wish or as damian says get an external drive or NAS. I have 2 NAS boxes and a collection of external drives which I back up recordings from both the 9200t and HDR-Fox-T2 to. The HDR plays the 9200t .ts files straight from the NAS boxes too.

If you're sure the 9200 is dead, you could still put it on ebay for spares.

| Mon 15 Apr 2013 19:58:37 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.