My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR-9300T Software Updates

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Steve983 - 4 hours ago  » 
    So to sum up so far, it seems I need a new Humax box to solve some problems and a new aerial to solve others. I'll talk to an aerial installer to get his advice before I do anything. The trouble with them is that whatever you say they always want to sell you a new aerial!

If it was me, I'd do it the other way around. First buy a new PVR, and try it out. That should clear up the PVR-related problems, and reveal any aerial-related problems more clearly. You might find it's not worth calling out an installer. Sky News, for instance, sometimes falls off my Freeview tuners, but it's usually weather-related. Probably more common around the Solent than in South London where I live.

| Sat 21 Feb 2015 13:48:52 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

Ozzy - 1 minute ago  » 
    I live in Leicestershire and my 9300T always cuts off the end of Top Gear, I assumed it was the BBC's fault.I recently cleared all my recordings, formatted HDD as it seemd to have a lot of disc space missing, which then returned, reset to factory defaults and manually retuned so I only have East Mids transmitter tuned in and it still does it, so I think the BBC must transmit the stop signal too early.

I agree. A cursory google brings up numerous complaints about Top Gear being cut short. Maybe Sunday primetime is when the BBC gets back on schedule if there has been a significant drift due to overruns.

strange, I've always recorded top gear over the years, not on a 9300t, but humax freeview boxes, first on SD now on HD and it's never ended/stopped early.
    Also Steve OP says it doesn't happen on a Monday's top gear repeat.
    I remember the discussions around family guy and american dad a while ago, but it never affected my boxes. I assume we've all seen the timing signal sent before an advert break. It's possible the beeb are sending out a similar signal just before a show ends, such as Martin suggests, the 9300t decoding chip can't handle, but why that doesn't happen on a Monday's repeat is anybodys guess.

| Sat 21 Feb 2015 14:28:46 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Is the Monday repeat always exactly the same length as the Sunday broadcast? Radio repeats are often edited.

| Sat 21 Feb 2015 14:41:55 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

So to sum up so far, it seems I need a new Humax box to solve some problems and a new aerial to solve others. I'll talk to an aerial installer to get his advice before I do anything. The trouble with them is that whatever you say they always want to sell you a new aerial!

If it was me, I'd do it the other way around. First buy a new PVR, and try it out. That should clear up the PVR-related problems, and reveal any aerial-related problems more clearly. You might find it's not worth calling out an installer. Sky News, for instance, sometimes falls off my Freeview tuners, but it's usually weather-related. Probably more common around the Solent than in South London where I live.

That's what I've been thinking today.I sort of wish the 9300T would just die thus giving me a perfect excuse to go out and buy a new HDR-1800T!

| Sat 21 Feb 2015 19:52:36 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

HD is a good enough excuse, picture quality and sound, if you have the right equipment, is better.
    Use the 9300T for a 2nd TV or backup.

I still think you need to check the aerial and turn it to vertical.

A quick google shows a new mast going up in 2010, and vertical being added and used from 2012. Vertical now provides a much stronger signal for the likes of dave/sky-news etc. etc. (50% of the muxes).

Your aerial would have been fine on horizontal, but from 2012 everything is telling me vertical makes a lot more sense. This is where a decent local TV aerial installer is worth finding and not some fly-by-night cowboy who will simply point a new aerial, that you probably don't need, in roughly the same direction as your neighbours.

Personally I think it's a no brainer and I'd also be really interested if it cleared up some of the other problems, even if it did, I'd still be inclined to upgrade the 9300t in the near future. I'm not a betting person, but even I'd put money on a new hdr1800t suffering some of the same problems without the aerial being addressed.

| Sun 22 Feb 2015 9:56:14 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions on this thread, I'll report back when I've taken some action. Have a good Sunday everyone.

| Sun 22 Feb 2015 10:24:26 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Steve983 - 15 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

That's what I've been thinking today.I sort of wish the 9300T would just die thus giving me a perfect excuse to go out and buy a new HDR-1800T!

Steve - here's a good reason to buy a new HD pvr before you call an aerial installer: the HD channels are on ch21 which is even weaker than Dave and Sky News. If your aerial needs adjusting or replacing, you really need to have a HD tuner available so that the installer can make sure the HD channels can be received. How annoying would it be, to wait another year before replacing the 9300T, only to find that the aerial needed adjusting AGAIN!

Keep us posted.

| Sun 22 Feb 2015 11:05:47 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

^ Yes, thanks JamesB. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to get a new 1800T first. That should solve the skipping & jumping problem and may even solve the recording problem too. As you say, even if it doesn't, it means that any remaining issues are related to the aerial and should make them easier to solve.
    Cheers, Steve

| Sun 22 Feb 2015 13:41:48 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Since the last round of retunings my 9300 has been better behaved. I was even able to record the last two eps of Top Gear on Sunday evenings without getting the ending chopped off.
    Pretty ironic now

| Sat 14 Mar 2015 11:20:49 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Steve983 - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Since the last round of retunings my 9300 has been better behaved. I was even able to record the last two eps of Top Gear on Sunday evenings without getting the ending chopped off.
    Pretty ironic now

many thanks for the update Steve, a lot of folks don't bother, glad to see it's behaving itself finally, just need the Beeb to stop messing about and get Top Gear back on air.

Can we assume the fix was a combination of a factory reset and a proper manual tune to one transmitter only. And if it starts to happen around the same time next year we can blame the French

| Sat 14 Mar 2015 11:52:53 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.