My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Series link quirk.

(15 posts)
  1. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Faust - 59 minutes ago  » 
    Well as said in my original post, both my Panasonic DVDR and the HW120 PVR can manage it with no issues at all. I can't therefore understand why Humax cannot manage it too.

Perhaps they can but decided they wanted their boxes to work in the manner they do, maybe they don't consider it a quirk, I don't. The chances are if I'm pressing record after a programme has started it's because I want to record that programme, not the series. If I wanted the whole series I would have been more organised and set the series link earlier. Graham was right in his post #4, the 9xx0 boxes also work in the manner you describe. On my Panasonic DVD/VCR machine I can't edit the channel list like I can on the Humax so I'm stuck with all the crap channels. Is that a quirk of the Panasonic machine or the way they wanted their machine to work. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 0:07:27 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Biggles - 10 hours ago  » ...The chances are if I'm pressing record after a programme has started it's because I want to record that programme, not the series. If I wanted the whole series I would have been more organised and set the series link earlier...

The rest of us who are not quite as organised, and are watching a pgm they were previously unaware of and realise it's the first of a series, we regard it as a quirk. Happens to me all the time, silly disorganised me.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 10:34:57 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Biggles - 10 hours ago » ...The chances are if I'm pressing record after a programme has started it's because I want to record that programme, not the series. If I wanted the whole series I would have been more organised and set the series link earlier...

That may well have applied when we only had a small number of channels. However, with the advent of multi-channel digital TV it's nigh impossible to keep track of TV listings. I often channel hop and come across something of interest whereby I then want to record the whole series.

I too obviously have a disorganised mind.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 20:17:07 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 51 minutes ago  » 

Biggles - 10 hours ago » ...The chances are if I'm pressing record after a programme has started it's because I want to record that programme, not the series. If I wanted the whole series I would have been more organised and set the series link earlier...

That may well have applied when we only had a small number of channels. However, with the advent of multi-channel digital TV it's nigh impossible to keep track of TV listings. I often channel hop and come across something of interest whereby I then want to record the whole series.

You must be so disorganised that you don't realise that you can record whatever content you have in your recording buffer and in a few steps set up the a series recording by simply skipping forward to the next full episode ( Which may well be a single keypress away).

Frankly I don't think I have ever seen such a pathetic argument.

Humax boxes have worked this way for years. You appear to be in a small minority. Indeed as already posted most (including our most experienced members didn't even know the problem existed).

So we have a situation that appears to really annoy you, despite

1 There's a simple way to set up the series recording anyway

2 It clearly isn't an issue for thousands of Humax box owners for many years.

So you expect Humax to modify the code for all it's current recorders to accommodate you (and possibly a few others), to avoid you having to push a remote control button the number of times to skip to the next showing.

So when you channel hop what do you do when you find an interesting series that is now showing episode 5 of 6 ? (Disorganised or what ?).

Showcase is designed to help channel hoppers, not sure how much info you need.

Either you are looking for any way to have a go at Humax, patently ridiculous in this case, or you do not have any sense of what's reasonable.

So yes your last statement seems to be accurate

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 21:42:51 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 51 minutes ago  » 

You must be so disorganised that you don't realise that you can record whatever content you have in your recording buffer and in a few steps set up the a series recording by simply skipping forward to the next full episode ( Which may well be a single keypress away).
    Frankly I don't think I have ever seen such a pathetic argument.
    Humax boxes have worked this way for years. You appear to be in a small minority. Indeed as already posted most (including our most experienced members didn't even know the problem existed).
    So we have a situation that appears to really annoy you, despite
    1 There's a simple way to set up the series recording anyway
    2 It clearly isn't an issue for thousands of Humax box owners for many years.
    So you expect Humax to modify the code for all it's current recorders to accommodate you (and possibly a few others), to avoid you having to push a remote control button the number of times to skip to the next showing.
    So when you channel hop what do you do when you find an interesting series that is now showing episode 5 of 6 ? (Disorganised or what ?).
    Showcase is designed to help channel hoppers, not sure how much info you need.
    Either you are looking for any way to have a go at Humax, patently ridiculous in this case, or you do not have any sense of what's reasonable.
    So yes your last statement seems to be accurate

Thanks for you usual elegant and tolerant response Graham.

1. I would obviously not set a series record if the programme in question was for example episode 3 of 6 because I have never heard of or used iPlayer etc. which would enable me to catch up.

2. Again as said by you (so it must be correct) that I can simply jump forward in the planner to the next episode and set it from there. Or there again as has happened twice recently the next episodes have not been in the planner due to football being on the following week?

3. Even though other manufacturers can manage this feat of technology whilst Humax can't/don't include it in their boxes this isn't an issue as they have been doing it this way for years. Obviously you subscribe to the school of "we have always done it this way, why do we need to do it differently"?

Still as you say Graham it must be me so thanks for putting me right.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 23:10:00 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.