My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Streaming from Laptop

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jenkinsdjj

I have just purchased and installed HUMAX HDR 1010s. I do not have a smart TV. I would like to stream content from my Acer 8943g laptop through the HUMAX box to my TV for viewing. The HUMAX box connects to my wireless network OK but I have no idea how to stream content from my laptop. Any help would be appreciated. I have used wireless network watcher to see what is attached to my network and can see the HUMAX box but only when using an Ethernet connection.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have emailed HUMAX and the response was “The box is a client and you view stuff from your laptop on it as long as your laptop has all the media share options on.” I am using win 8.1 x64 os. I have tried to follow what Microsoft have issued on the internet (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/use-play-to) about streaming with windows media player but I can’t see many of the options they indicate (e.g. choose the device you wish to stream to).
    I am tearing my hair out trying to get this to work. Please help! A steep by step set of instructions would be perfect.
    David J

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 11:31:42 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

1. I have moved this to the correct section.

2. On the 1010S press Home button and scroll to Humax and press OK.

Highlight Media share, press OK, does you laptop appear in the shred server list?

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 13:26:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jenkinsdjj

Sorry for putting the item in the wrong place but thanks for the response. I will try your suggestion today and let you know the result.
    David J

| Mon 16 Dec 2013 7:14:21 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clubdoc

I'm having a similar issue, but only want to stream [wirelessly] to/from my desktop PC (running Win 7 Pro x64) and possibly my Galaxy S3 LTE (running Android 4.1.2). The router is a Netgear DGND-3700 v2 dual-band model (connected by cable to the PC) and allegedly supports DLNA ....

The Humax connects wirelessly to my router and I can view all 'On Demand' channels perfectly, but 'Media Share' is not picking up either my PC or my Galaxy (both have file sharing switched on).

The 'manual' (such as it is) supplied with the HDR-1000S doesn't provide any useful information at all and I'm not getting any response from Humax to my requests for help, so I would echo the OP's request for a set of step-by-step instructions that any 'newbies' like me can access now and in the future, if anyone can find the time to write one.

Thanks!!

Addendum: The network map provided by the Router software shows that all devices - my PC, the Galaxy S3 and the Humax (and my iPad, which I almost certainly will NOT be able to connect to the Humax box) - have working connections ...

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 14:41:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clubdoc - 1 hour ago  » 
    The Humax connects wirelessly to my router and I can view all 'On Demand' channels perfectly, but 'Media Share' is not picking up either my PC or my Galaxy (both have file sharing switched on).

It isn't file sharing that matters on the PC it is Media sharing; is that on?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 15:47:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clubdoc

If you mean in Windows Media Player, yes it is ....

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 16:07:49 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Wireless connection defined as a "Home" network?
    Also check in network and sharing centre - Advanced settings - media streaming - choose media streaming options.

Re second poster can the Galaxy S3 LTE see the PC media share?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 16:22:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clubdoc

REPASSAC - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Re second poster can the Galaxy S3 LTE see the PC media share?

REPASSAC:

Galaxy S3 problem solved (at least I can now play/view videos on my S3 on TV via the Humax).

An additional piece of software was needed - I downloaded the free version of 'DLNA Server' from the Playstore, which seems to work well.

I've not played with it much so far, but I doubt that it will work in reverse (allow me to watch TV or play recorded videos saved on the Humax on the phone. Is there any way of doing that??

The PC & the Humax still can't see each other, though. Is there an equivalent Windows program to 'DLNA Server' that might do the trick?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 17:14:44 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jenkinsdjj

Sorry for the late getting back to you but I tried wht you suggested but the lptop does not appear in the server list. Nothing appears there, it is just as if the unit has crashed.
    Regards
    David J

| Fri 20 Dec 2013 15:44:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jenkinsdjj - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry for the late getting back to you but I tried wht you suggested but the lptop does not appear in the server list. Nothing appears there, it is just as if the unit has crashed.

Are you using the standard Windows firewall or a third party product. If you temporarily disable the firewall is the laptop visible by the Humax?

| Fri 20 Dec 2013 16:12:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.