My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Tentative details for the HDR 2000T - Now available

(84 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chrisdaniels - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I like to live life on the edge lol

But you were giving advice to someone else.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 18:31:02 #61 |
  2. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Yes and I stand by it. It's not going to ruin the disk if you turn it off unless you are very unlucky or you've been doing it for years while the disk is writing every time.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:08:38 #62 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

chrisdaniels - 4 hours ago  » 
    I would change your IR switch to use the TV as the source instead and take the humax out of the loop.
    That way you can leave the humax powered on so it can do overnight recordings and you can see the status, but everything else switches off.

T2000 is powered on but in standby (so theoretically consuming less than half a watt), when I hit the remote to take it out of standby, the rest of the kit (eg tv, surround sound) gets power, but is still in standby, so then I can use the other remotes to switch all those bits on
    Regarding seeing the status, well you can't, cause it may or may not be actually recording in standby with the red light on...

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:15:13 #63 |
  4. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

That's why I said in my scenario you would leave the humax on all the time so you could see the status and everything apart from your humax would power up/down when you turn the tv on/off instead.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:20:20 #64 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Note that watt meters are often not accurate below a certain figure, for mine it is around 70W according to the manual for it. I run a 100W bulb on a table lamp plus whatever I'm trying to measure. And make sure it's a traditional incandescent lamp, flourescents don't have a 1.0 power factor due to the switched mode power supply in new ones which skews the reading (as does any set top box). Measuring power consumption is a minefield, assume any reading is wildly inaccurate until proven otherwise.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:21:32 #65 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

Well one of the reasons I bought this one not YouView version was so as not to be permanently consuming 16watts of power all the time. So not having it in standby rather defeats the object, plus I think it automatically switches to standby after some period of inactivity...

Speaking of which the digital clock screen saver that cuts in when you leave it paused is a neat feature...

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:26:24 #66 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

Owen Smith - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Note that watt meters are often not accurate below a certain figure, for mine it is around 70W according to the manual for it. I run a 100W bulb on a table lamp plus whatever I'm trying to measure. And make sure it's a traditional incandescent lamp, flourescents don't have a 1.0 power factor due to the switched mode power supply in new ones which skews the reading (as does any set top box). Measuring power consumption is a minefield, assume any reading is wildly inaccurate until proven otherwise.

Sounds like a plan, but jeeze don't fings get complicated quickly...

If all else fails- read the instructions - don't remember mine mentioning anything about accuracy of the metering

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:31:10 #67 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

CornishLad - 5 minutes ago  » Sounds like a plan, but jeeze don't fings get complicated quickly...
    If all else fails- read the instructions - don't remember mine mentioning anything about accuracy of the metering

So if your watt meter says nothing about the accuracy, you have no idea what it is and should assume that it is terrible.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:38:17 #68 |
  9. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

If you bought the humax for that reason then yes your reasoning makes sense.
    Ps. You can change the standby time in the settings so it can be disabled if it's the same as the HDR t2.
    I found it annoying when for example watching one channel for an evening without having to touch the remote that it would pop up a message saying it will go into standby unless you pressed no.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 20:45:50 #69 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I agree with Owen,
    my power meter, bought a few years ago, isn't guaranteed below 40w so plugging in a 60w or 100w bulb first and adding whatever it is to measure makes a lot of sense on low power devices.
    We also need to be aware of accuracy and resolution, my scales may resolve down to 1g, but if they're 5% or 10% accurate then that's a different picture, i.e. they'll give me an exact figure that may not be accurate.
    Personally I leave my Humax's left plugged in all the time, pulling the plug on a drive can leave the head left on a disk and not parked, which it will be if shut down correctly, there'll definitely be files left open for writing and, yes, file system checking on startup should sort out open files.
    I only switch off at the mains if it's shutdown or when I'm forced to if it's frozen.
    We should all live on the edge every now and again; however we need informed decisions and not tempting fate. I might drive at 100mph on a motorway in the middle of the night with no traffic, but sooner or later I'll get caught out.
    Back to the box though, it would have cost pennies to put an extra LED in for recording and even less for a tri-colour LED

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 21:26:21 #70 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.