My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Tentative details for the HDR 2000T - Now available

(84 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

af123 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    So is the red for standby just as bright as the red for on and recording? I expected the standby red to be noticeably dimmer!

There is a small difference in intensity that I can notice, whether others will be able to?

| Wed 23 Oct 2013 21:19:23 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

Can't say that I've noticed, what with having a telly on when recording with it on, compared to normally no telly when it's in standby, it'd be difficult to tell due to lighting changes in the room...
    I'd guess the visual brightness difference won't be much use to all but the keenest observer...

Or do you mean standby is dimmer than standby and record
    And should you be able to tell the difference between those rwo and on + recording?

| Wed 23 Oct 2013 21:34:30 #52 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Standby red (recording or not makes no difference) is dimmer then on+recording red.

| Wed 23 Oct 2013 21:43:33 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

Ok I admit it, I can just see the red glow change between standby, and on/record.

Still not much help with what prompted my original comment...

How DO you tell when it is safe to unplug in standby, as you cant tell if it's recording or not.

I did also manage to get the Watt-O-Meter to show power consumption of 00 watts in standby, but at that point it is NOT sending a loop-through signal (in the case of my meter 0 just means less than 1, as it doesn't do decimals)
    Humax stuff says 1w somewhere in their main web product details, and "less than 0.5w" in the pdf spec sheet)

If you power on it uses 5 watts initially, with loop-through switching on at that point, then 11w once the hard disc spins up. (So that sort of suggests there might be the possibility of an non-eco standby that *only* consumes 5w, where the disc is not spinning)

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 13:01:59 #54 |
  5. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

To tell if its safe to switch off, take it out of standby.
    If the glow is still red, its recording, if its blue, its ok to switch off.

In other words, if you are going to constantly switch off at the mains, there is no point using standby.

Seriously though, did it not occur to anyone at Humax that using the same colour to illustrate two modes that can cause confusion and result in lost recordings is a bit daft. Same as on the HDR T2.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 14:58:32 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

CornishLad

Well I would normally leave it on standby, but because I wanted to check pass-through and power consumption I needed to unplug aerial and power, and wanted an easy way of checking recording status without powering up the telly, or disturbing the sleep state of the box.

Plus I have the additional complication that the telly and surround sound etc are on an IR switch which, switches them on or off at the mains when the hummy is powered down/up
    As this flips every time you hit the hummy remote power. it is irritating when it gets out of step with the actual state of the hummy

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 15:19:06 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chrisdaniels - 32 minutes ago  » 
    To tell if its safe to switch off, take it out of standby.
    If the glow is still red, its recording, if its blue, its ok to switch off.

I disagree. Switching off whilst it is live isn't good practice because it will be recording the buffer. My approach is to put it into standby and feel the top of the case to see if the disk is still spinning (which it does for about a minute as it saves the EPG data etc). When it has stopped spinning turn off at the mains.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 15:34:23 #57 |
  8. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

I would change your IR switch to use the TV as the source instead and take the humax out of the loop.

That way you can leave the humax powered on so it can do overnight recordings and you can see the status, but everything else switches off.

@Martin: The buffer will be overwritten on the next boot anyway, so it doesnt matter. Doesnt to me anyway after 2+ years of living with my HDR T2. If the disk kiffs it (which it will eventually anyway) I'll just buy and fit a new one. But these things are fairly tolerant.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 15:39:02 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

chrisdaniels - 1 hour ago  » 

@Martin: The buffer will be overwritten on the next boot anyway, so it doesnt matter.

It matters to me. The risk I perceive is file system corruption. This isn't particularly likely as EXT3 is a journalling file system but I like to play safe.

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 17:29:59 #59 |
  10. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

I like to live life on the edge lol

| Thu 24 Oct 2013 18:23:57 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.