My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

VCR recording - text not clear

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

Damian, your first sentence is correct.
    No, not connected to anything, totally independent.
    These network home plugs, how do I use them. One for each Humax/TV set up, or does the PC come into the equation?

| Wed 5 Mar 2014 17:04:44 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Pete,

that's why I was asking about a router.
    No, you don't need a PC or a router, but connecting them up to a router and internet would make sense as you'd be able to make use of catch-up TV on the HB1000S and iplayer on the foxsat hdr.

The most basic setup would be to get a pair of homeplugs, something like:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/453841-trendnet-500-mbps-compact-powerline-av-adapter-kit-tpl-406e2k
    or
    http://www.ebuyer.com/512619-zyxel-500mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-pla4201v2-gb0201f

I'd personally go for a 500mbps speed, you don't need gigabit. These plug into the mains and communicate with each other via the house mains internal wiring and work really well and don't use much power, plug and forget.

The next step depends on whether you have a router and where it is physically.

If the router is close to the hb1000s or foxsat and has spare network ports then connect one of the humax's directly to the router, connect one of the home plugs to the router and connect the other home plug to the further away humax. Read up on Raydon's custom firmware and install it on the foxsat hdr, make sure you install and switch on the Twonky4 media server option. You should be able to view recorded foxsat hdr programmes on the hb1000s as well as get catch-up tv on the hb1000s and iplayer on the foxsat hdr

If the router is miles away from either humax, consider buying another pair of homeplugs, one for the router, one for each humax and one spare or for the pc/laptop etc. Install Raydon's custom firmware on the foxsat hdr. You should be able to view as above.

If the router is miles away and you don't want to buy a second pair of home plugs, connect the home plug to the router and foxsat hdr, install Raydon's custom firmware on the foxsat hdr, disconnect the home plug from the router and connect to the hb1000s, set up the network address manually on both humax's. You should be able to view foxsat recorded programmes on the hb1000s.

If you don't have a router, read up on Raydon's custom firmware and installing from usb. Install Raydons custom firmware on the foxsat hdr from usb. Connect a home plug to each of the humax's, manually configure the network. You should be able to view as immediately above.

In an ideal world, your router will be close to one of the humax's and you'll need a pair of homeplugs for around £25 and install Raydon's custom firmware on the foxsat hdr, tweak the custom firmware options and enjoy. If your router is miles away, I would buy a second pair of homeplugs.

I'm not aware of a single link to information where it will give you everything you need step by step; however there is a ton of information and many posts on the subject. Don't be put off by the jargon, it's not that complicated once you've done it.

| Thu 6 Mar 2014 0:14:14 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

My goodness, you guys certainly know 'stuff', I am impressed.
    So the basic setup would be 2 homeplugs, and that would give me connectivity between the 2 humax boxes. I think I will try that option first and then if successful investigate the other choices.
    Thanks once again. I'm sure I will be back!
    Pete

| Thu 6 Mar 2014 12:13:34 #13 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.