My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Why no DLNA for the stand-alone Humax Youview

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    ???
    Of course. You have to pay whoever owns the service. If you want BT TV, you have to pay BT. If you want TalkTalk TV, you have to pay TalkTalk. It's no good paying some other ISP.
    This is so obviously true that I can only suppose that I am misunderstanding your question.

Yes you are misunderstanding. What I have been trying to ascertain from the start is the following. Even if you buy a retail box you cannot access anywhere near the full range of programming that is available unless you are with certain ISP's. It isn't really about cost, although that is a factor - it's all about your BB provider.

That in turn takes me full circle i.e. is it worth getting a Youview box if you not with the likes of BT TT, especially given that the box has no DLNA capabilities?

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 23:24:29 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You're the only person who can decide if you want a YouView box.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 23:33:50 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Which is what was behind my initial enquiry.

Given the information you have kindly provided I think for non BT or TT customers the answer would be NO. I think maybe Humax's other products are better.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 8:58:23 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My understanding of the non-contract Youview boxes is that you get exactly those channels you already get on your Freeview TV, plus a PVR and roll-back EPG capability. If someone says different then I'll be pleased to have learned something new. I was attracted by the TT offering, based on the financials alone, but ultimately lost interest...
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/talktalk-youview-box
    If I were seriously considering a 2000T then it would be only to supplement my 1000S, and since I'm in a Freeview Lite area I can't see any significant advantage.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting to see what rolls out in the next generation of TV boxes.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 10:05:55 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    My understanding of the non-contract Youview boxes is that you get exactly those channels you already get on your Freeview TV, plus a PVR and roll-back EPG capability. If someone says different then I'll be pleased to have learned something new. I was attracted by the TT offering, based on the financials alone, but ultimately lost interest...
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/talktalk-youview-box
    If I were seriously considering a 2000T then it would be only to supplement my 1000S, and since I'm in a Freeview Lite area I can't see any significant advantage.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting to see what rolls out in the next generation of TV boxes.

YouView doesn't currently get the FreeView IPTV channels, as they require MHEG which YouView controversially decided not to implement. At the time YouView launched, there wasn't much available, but since then Synapse has launched VuTV which offers some of the same channels as BT and TalkTalk so is in direct competition. And TVPlayer, also by Synapse, which I don't know much about. Most connected Freeview TV sets can probably get the Synapse channels. Theoretically, YouView might be able to do a deal with Synapse for HTML5 versions, now that HTML5 has been implemented. Time will tell.

I tried the HDR-T2000T and didn't much like it, so swapped it for a 1000S which I do like.

I'm not optimistic about the next generation.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 10:33:47 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 30 minutes ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    ...Meanwhile I'm waiting to see what rolls out in the next generation of TV boxes.

...I'm not optimistic about the next generation.

There's some really great technology being turned out by Far East vendors...

http://www.tele-audiovision.com/eng/TELE-audiovision-1411/

The current UK offerings pale into insignificance alongside them.
    Question is will that technology filter through.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 11:09:43 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I'm pessimistic not about the technology but about the changing structure of the TV industry here. The coming of IPTV, and the squeeze on spectrum, has changed the Freeview PVR goalposts, making it difficult if not impossible for a manufacturer to bring out a new product without at least a sprinkling of catchup or OTT players. Which the manufacturer has little control over but catches plenty of flak from the users when things go wrong. The alternative being a joint venture like YouView which has demonstrated all too clearly that it can't survive on retail sales.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 11:28:38 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

TBH I am looking at a supplementary recording option for my 1000s. I currently have a Panasonic DMR HDD/DVR which is now 8 years old - 9 years just after Christmas. These things can't last forever. We also already own a Panasonic HW120 which we use in another room. That has full DLNA capabilities and plays very well with our Panasonic TV in the lounge.

Whilst Youview is an option I think the retail version is too limited - more limited in fact than the Humax 2000T. Whilst the HW120 is good, the UI is more clunky than the Humax.

As always there is never a perfect solution.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 18:58:57 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

What would suit me is a new Humax box with both Freesat and Freeview. Freetime, but without the Gothic green colour scheme. Radio to be added to the rollback EPG. All the current On Demand plus Radioplayer.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 10:07:14 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

In my view it's unfortunate that ITV, C4 and 5 and BBC channelled their efforts into two competing formats Freeview/Youview and Freesat/Freetime. Since the underlying need is for each broadcaster to attract the largest audience it made more sense to deliver a common EPG, rollback and OD s/w platform capable of being switched (from the R/C) between sat and terrestrial and released as open source, which any box manufacturer could pick up and implement on their h/w platform as they saw fit. Sat only, terrestrial only or both.
    What a box that would be.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 11:04:07 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.