My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Why no DLNA for the stand-alone Humax Youview

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Things have been changing too fast for developers to keep up with, since Project Canvas (YouView ) was first announced. It's instructive to read past articles that appeared in the media press over the years, and see the pressure that was applied to shift the developmental direction, after the ISPs came on board. If it had developed as originally conceived - with not just Flash but with MHEG-IC and HTML5, and therefore genuinely an open platform which would be available to many different content providers but genuinely committed to the interests of FTA broadcasting instead of being formed as a weapon for BT to combat Sky - it could have been a different story. Who knows?

And Freetime has its own backstory (a bit of this at http://www.techradar.com/news/television/tv-s-big-takeover-why-freesat-is-offering-up-its-best-tech-feature-to-all-1247714).

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 11:44:20 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Nothing on the subject at that link??? It's the bracket and fullstop at the end that is the problem.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 12:10:50 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I think that's not so much a backstory as having implemented Freetime on sat they belatedly realised there was potential on Freeview, influenced heavily by Panasonic it would appear.
    So when will Humax introduce a Freesat/Freeview PVR combo box with 2xs2 and 2xt2 tuners?

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 12:23:12 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    I think that's not so much a backstory as having implemented Freetime on sat they belatedly realised there was potential on Freeview, influenced heavily by Panasonic it would appear.

Of course. That's the backstory. Freetime was really spun up very quickly, pretty much making YouView look a bit ridiculous for making such a song-and-dance over its backwards EPG. It wasn't conceived of as a gamechanger, at the time. It's really due to YouView's failure that Freetime has moved ahead. But perhaps not for long - Freeview Connect should be coming along in the not too distant future. It's been reported that the FC partners have disagreed as to whether FC should be based on Freetime (favoured by the broadcasters) or should start afresh with a new system (favoured by Arqiva, which of course doesn't have a stake in Freetime).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/10909628/BBC-and-ITV-battle-Arqiva-on-future-of-Freeview.html

No more has been heard of this row, at least not by me. Perhaps agreement has been reached. I hope they've agreed to use Freetime as it would shorten development time.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 12:51:36 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 8 hours ago  » 
    What would suit me is a new Humax box with both Freesat and Freeview. Freetime, but without the Gothic green colour scheme. Radio to be added to the rollback EPG. All the current On Demand plus Radioplayer.

I'll sign that petition.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 18:59:22 #36 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.