My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Why so slow and sluggish?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

I've just upgraded from a FOXSAT-HD to my first PVR the new HDR-1000S and I'm a little disapointed with how slow it is to navigate the menus. My FOXSAT was slow but I just put that down to it being old and bog standard. This new box cost me £300 though and I was expecting a big improvement in terms of speed.

I'm more than just a little dispapointed to be honest. Now that I have the ability to record TV I was excited about the prospect of being able to whizz through the TV guide and easily select programmes during the week. Instead it's a massive chore having to wait for the EPG to populate every time I press left/right/up/down. It makes me want to cry. I NEED responsiveness. Responsive = user friendly. The design of the menus is great I will admit, however what is the point if they are so damn slow??

There are other speed related issues as well which add to the frustration. Loading the On-Demand services is painful (Funnily once loaded I find the BBC iPlayer is lot quicker to navigate than the Humax menus). There's also a fancy transition which occurs when you go from the Guide to watching a programme whereby the small preview window enlargens. Wow that's so clever... shame it's not smooth at all and not nice to look at.

Does anyone else feel the same as me about this? Maybe becasue this is my first PVR I haven't got a clue and that this is just the way it is and I have to deal with it. How does the previous model compare?

What sort of engine is in this thing? My phone has a quad core processor and 2gb RAM.

Please someone tell me there be an update that will improve performance?

| Wed 7 Nov 2012 13:31:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Levi

I was hoping it was going to be faster too and some reviews have made similar observations.  

Quote.........."it can react a little slow at times if you are used to navigating through menus at lightning speed."

But many users are very happy with their 1000S, to them it does seems to be near perfection. But I tend to agree with you, there is room for improvement and this is perfectly normal for a brand new PVR they generally do require a few updates . 

Hopefully Humax/Freesat will augment the User Interface/EPG in the future, I would prefer it to load faster, have more information per page and require less button presses from the noisy remote. 

But reliability and picture quality are more important.

The previous model (Foxsat HDR ) is also a little slow while the guide is populating, but there is a way round this if you are in a hurry and its remote is silent (no clicking) but poorly designed. 

| Thu 8 Nov 2012 13:01:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

Levi, I'm glad you mention the remote because it's driving me crazy. Combine the loud clickiness with an unresponsive interface and you've got a recipe for a horrible user experience in my opinion. I'm hoping that the controller will 'bed in' a little and become less noticeable.

I should say that the picture quality is noticeably better than my old freesat box. The recording so far has been faultless and the design of the menus is excellent. I just wish it was faster to use because it's really killing it for me right now and I don't see how anyone can call this perfect. It's miles away from the sort of speed I expect from my tech nowadays, it feels ancient to use, nothing is instant, it can take 1-2 seconds for each page to load every time you press a button which is a nightmare for a channel surfer like me.

| Mon 12 Nov 2012 12:56:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Outatime - 2 hours ago  » I'm glad you mention the remote because it's driving me crazy. Combine the loud clickiness...

All the buttons on mine are fairly soft touch with no click, except the "wheel" and the Vol+_ and P +_. Some strange design decisions went into this thing.
    I was using my son's SKY+ HD box yesterday afternoon and the EPG on that is certainly very fast.

| Mon 12 Nov 2012 15:57:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dwood

I agree with Outatime. This my first experience of a Humax product and I feel let down by the slow response and the fact I cannot stream the content across the network.

I am comparing this product with a VU Plus Duo sophisticated PVR with a 1Tbyte disk which is very fast and responsive and the picture superior. Whilst the 7 day EPG is not as smart at the moment that is the only draw back. I can stream and archive all data on my PC and it can be controlled remotely. Begining to wish I had bought another.

Dave

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 17:53:57 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.