My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Wireless issues, and no customer service!!

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sykes

Folks

An update:

I emailed Edimax, and unlike Humax, they bothered to respond.
    Humax have a lot to learn about customer service. Not everyone is prepared to ascribe to rip-off premium rate numbers, purporting to be customer service, and Humax really should be responding to emails and posted letters as well. For anyone considering purchasing a Humax product, and hoping to receive good customer service, I suggest to look long and hard at the other products on the market, before buying Humax. This is not an emotional "slagging off" of Humax - just reasonable advice from a customer who's experienced first-hand, very poor after-sales service. After all, I'm just a customer who needs help. Not too much to ask is it?

However, moan over; according to other posts on this (good) forum, other 1000S owners have had success with very similar Edimax dongles - i.e. the EW7711UAN (as opposed to the UMN which is the subject of this post.)
    It seems that the chipset is an important issue, so I asked Edimax whether the two dongles have the same chipset: ......

Hi there
    I've purchased an EW7711UMN wireless dongle.
    I wish to use it on my new Humax HDR1000S freesat receiver, in order to connect it to my wireless network.
    At the moment the dongle works fine on a Windows computer, but I can't get the Humax freesat box to connect to the network with the dongle.
    The box recognises that a "wireless dongle" has been plugged in, but never gets to see any networks - neither mine nor my neighbours' ones.
    According to a Humax forum I've been using, the Humax box does work with your EW7711UAN dongle, so I'm wondering if it's a chipset issue I'm having.
    Humax are not responding to ANY of my emails or letters requesting help, so I'm struggling with them a bit.
    What I was told when I phoned your customer helpline (a very helpful lady) was that the EW7711UMN had the RT3070 chipset in it.
    What I now need to know is which chipset the EW7711UAN has, please. If it has the same chipset, and works with the Humax box (as I've read on several forums) then the chipset in my EW7711UMN must be compatible, and the problem must be somewhere else.

....and their reply:...

Here are chip RT3070 Edimax USB dongles:
    EW-7711UAn RT3070
    EW-7711UTn RT3070
    EW-7711USn RT3070
    And of course your EW-7711UMN with RT3070 chip, so all these dongles use the same chip and should work.

Based on this info, I'm not going to give up.

I hope this is useful to other owners, experiencing the same problem.

Any more help / ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Sykes.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 9:27:00 #21 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

You may have read my posts in other thread.

UAN variant arrived and I cannot get that to work, UMN is on route, hopefully.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 9:31:32 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sykes

Hi Barry

Thanks for the reply.

I did read your other post, and hoped you'd be able to shed some light.
    Interesting that you can't get the UAN to work, despite others having had success in this regard.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether Humax have changed the chipset on later production models?

It'll be interesting to see how you fare with the UMN.

Which router are you using?

Sykes

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 9:59:41 #23 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Sykes - Virginmedia superhub...

As with your good self, Edimax UK have confirmed the chipset has not changed.

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 13:14:05 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravensden

Apologies if everyone already know this (I'm a newbie), but I just bought a Vonets VAP11G Wifi bridge (£16.29 from Amazon)and it works fine with my Foxsat-HDR freesat box...

| Tue 4 Dec 2012 16:20:17 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sykes

Thanks ravensden - every little bit of knowledge helps to piece together the jigsaw.

| Wed 5 Dec 2012 10:58:11 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gr4z

I have the Edimax EW-7711UAN. Simply does not work with my 1TB box and a BT Homehub. Now sits in the drawer gathering dust.

| Fri 7 Dec 2012 15:05:20 #27 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

UMN variant finally arrived, tried on HDR T2 to start.

No problem, available networks detected, selected mine and input security password, a few seconds later connected.

Will try on the HDR 1000S shortly.

| Sat 15 Dec 2012 10:30:07 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sykes

Great, thanks Barry.

| Sat 15 Dec 2012 10:51:10 #29 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

UMn in HDR 1000S both front and rear usb ports.

Works, networks detected, selected mine, input security password, a few seconds later connected.

| Sat 15 Dec 2012 11:20:42 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.