My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1010s

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

redcalibra

Hi, new to forum,I am going to buy a 1010s but one of the main reason for doing so after ditching sky is I have a lot of Avi movies I would like to play back via usb or streaming, is this box any good or do I have to always use specific files only.

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 15:28:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum.

It's a common misconception that avi is a file format. AVI (Audio Video Interleave) In fact it's a container format. The actual video and audio can be virtually anything ranging from low resolution low bitrate compressed content to massive uncompressed video.

There's a free programme called Medioninfo

http://mediaarea.net/EN/MediaInfo/Download

If you open your files with this and select treeview you can then export the details to a text file and post these.

You may well have to change the container type to the standard one used by the box (transport stream .ts).

It's not possible to give a straight answer to your question re streaming as much depends on the DLNA server software you use. This is supposed to transcode content on the fly to a format that the DLNA client can use. It's not in my experience very reliable.

If you can post a short example file to a file share site I can try playback from usb if you wish.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 9:53:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

To expand on Graham's accurate description of AVI...
    The range of codecs that the Humax can actually play may be very narrow since I have lots of AVI movies which are handled with ease by my 3 stand-alone media players (one costing only 80 Pounds). None of them will play on the Humax when I stream them over enet from my NAS. The alternative explanation could be that the Humax cannot interface to the NAS properly. I have not tried USB since I'm not interested in using the Humax that way. I have similar problems with music and photos. The in-built media player is not the best.

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 12:50:58 #3 |
  4. launton

launton

Mine's played everything I've chucked at it on a usb or copied to the internal HD including xvids and mkv files

I've not streamed anything though

| Tue 15 Oct 2013 17:34:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

redcalibra

Thanks, lads, have downloaded program Graham suggested and checked container, shows mp4 for video and mp3 for audio so I am guessing should work. Thanks for info if I have further problems I will use ts converter.

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 17:25:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

redcalibra

Q3 If you are running Windows Media player then you need to add the folder paths to the library. How to do this please Graham, sorry for being thick.

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 17:35:20 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.