My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1010S continually rebooting

(5 posts)
  1. VFRRider750

VFRRider750

We woke up to a problem this morning with our old (but very useful) 1010S, when switching it on it was stuck in a continuous reboot?

ie: Displaying "Starting" then "Freesat" then it would go back to blank before going around the loop aging, I tried everything I could think of, all the usual stuff, checked all cables, disconnect power for 15Mins, even tried to download & install the latest hdf file, but nothing worked.

Finally managed to get through to Humax Tech on the phone and spoke to a chap there, he said that there was probably little else that could be done, and that I was probably looking at a replacement.

So at this point I thought that I had nothing to lose, so I opened the box, thinking there cannot be a lot to this, having got the box open and powered on, I noted that there appeared to be no noise from the HDD at all & resting my hand on it there was no vibration.

So I powered off and disconnected the HDD, then on powering back, hey presto the box sprang back into life.

Ok so I have no saved recordings, I cannot record anew, nor pause and wind back, but it's working.

I'm going to get the HDD tested to see if it's failed and if so get a new drive.

| Mon 8 Feb 2021 13:53:48 #1 |
  2. VFRRider750

VFRRider750

Ok, just a bit of an update along with a question.

I have tried fitting a 1Tb USB HDD, to see if I can pause/wind back/record, but this appears not to work, I get some message about not being able to read the buffer!

In settings under storage I can see the USB HDD & I can format it.

So the question is should I be able to record to that device?

| Mon 8 Feb 2021 21:20:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

VFRRider750 - 1 hour ago  » 

So the question is should I be able to record to that device?

I am afraid the answer is no; you can only record to the internal hard drive.

| Mon 8 Feb 2021 22:35:50 #3 |
  4. VFRRider750

VFRRider750

Martin Liddle - 10 hours ago  » 
    I am afraid the answer is no; you can only record to the internal hard drive.

Thank you, for the info.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 9:28:49 #4 |
  5. VFRRider750

VFRRider750

OK guys, I have finally got around to fixing this, we have been running the unit with on internal HDD, but the wife has been complaining that she can't record, pause or wind back, so I had to get on and sort it, or buy a new one.

So I popped the HDD into a Linux machine to interrogate it and see if there ere any issues with the HDD or was the problem with the Humax HDD Controller?

The first thing I did was to completely backup the HDD onto a USB Drive!

Next I tried was running fdisk -l
    This reported along with the normal stuff 3 Errors in RED
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.

So out of interest I then ran
    sudo e2fsck -cfv /dev/sda3
    sudo e2fsck -cfv /dev/sda4
    sudo e2fsck -cfv /dev/sda5

and this just scrolled a whole host of errors up the screen, albeit sda4 took a long time due to its size.

Now with that info and having nothing to lose, I deleted all of the partitions, then proceeded to run several disk diagnostics and surface scans on thd HDD to determine its state and all tested ok.

I then refitted the HDD to the box, switched on and the box reformatted to HDD including partitions and Hey Presto! were back up and running.

I just thought it would be useful to document my findings and results, as it may be of use to others.

| Thu 18 Mar 2021 10:01:53 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.