My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1010S Sound Issue - Very Muffled/Hardly Audible

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Hi,

It's been a while since I've had to ask for help on here, but before I do, I hope everyone's doing OK given the current circumstances.

Anyway, I just turned on my trusty 1010s to watch a bit of TV and the sound from the box - via HDMI to my amp - is very (very!) muffled and just about audible. I have comfirmed the fault is with the Humax box, not the amp. Watching TV last night, it was fine, and no changes have been made at all since then. So, the muffled/hardly audible sound affects live TV, recordings, on demand (tried Netflix and iPlayer) and bizzarely some video files on a pen drive - some play as normal, others exhibit the muffled sound.

I've powered the box on/off at the mains, which made no difference. All cables seem to be in place, but I've pulled and reconnected them just to be sure. No difference. I also checked if there was a software update, but there wasn't (I know the box schedules its own checks for these).

I haven't tried resetting the box as I can't find a straight answer online as to whether this gets rid of recorded programmes and scheduled recordings.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping this is something simple rather than something more complicated. All guidance appreciated, thanks in advance.

| Thu 25 Mar 2021 12:50:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hoops - 5 mins ago  » 
    Hi,
    It's been a while since I've had to ask for help on here, but before I do, I hope everyone's doing OK given the current circumstances.
    Anyway, I just turned on my trusty 1010s to watch a bit of TV and the sound from the box - via HDMI to my amp - is very (very!) muffled and just about audible. I have comfirmed the fault is with the Humax box, not the amp. Watching TV last night, it was fine, and no changes have been made at all since then. So, the muffled/hardly audible sound affects live TV, recordings, on demand (tried Netflix and iPlayer) and bizzarely some video files on a pen drive - some play as normal, others exhibit the muffled sound.
    I've powered the box on/off at the mains, which made no difference. All cables seem to be in place, but I've pulled and reconnected them just to be sure. No difference. I also checked if there was a software update, but there wasn't (I know the box schedules its own checks for these).
    I haven't tried resetting the box as I can't find a straight answer online as to whether this gets rid of recorded programmes and scheduled recordings.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping this is something simple rather than something more complicated. All guidance appreciated, thanks in advance.

HD-Channel or SD Channel or both ?

Reset to factory defaults does not affect existing recordings (only a hard disk format deletes recordings. It does delete your recording schedule so photograph this first using a digital camera.

Check the box remote control volume control setting. Someone may have turned it down.

| Thu 25 Mar 2021 12:56:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yep, the remote setting is fine, but even if the volume setting was low, it wouldn't account for the muffled sound. The missus just tried some channels and out of the first 20 or so, Channel 5 was the only one with normal sound. Strange, eh?

| Thu 25 Mar 2021 13:48:53 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Problem solved! OK, so I have to eat my words, it was my amp... sort of. I decided to test TV channels and noticed that my amp was receiving 5.1 sound from Channel 5, and the audio sounded as I would expect. Other channels in stereo as indicated by my amp's display were giving the muffled/hardly audible effect. Looking at my front speakers, I noticed one wire was completely disconected! The other front speaker the wire was very frayed, to the point of disintegration. I asked my wife if she'd been moving the speakers as they're in a position where they wouldn't usually be moved. She tells me "yes, I lift them up to dust under them". Well, over time that led to frayed/disconnected wires which was my problem!

So, thanks for the reply @grahamlthompson, it seems my good ol' Humax 1010s is still fighting fit afterall. Sorry to waste everyone's time!

| Thu 25 Mar 2021 14:57:20 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Hoops - 2 mins ago  » 
    Sorry to waste everyone's time!

Not a problem

Thank you for updating us.

| Thu 25 Mar 2021 15:00:23 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.