My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1010S Volume goes up and down on its own

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jim.hobday

Hi,

Have had my 1010S for about a month now and I've noticed that the volume will gently go up and down on its own (No I'm not sitting on the remote and no I can't see the on-screen volume indicator changing). It gradually gets quieter (not silent), until we notice and turn the volume up. Then, say, a minute later it's slowly increased in volume and we need to turn it down again.

I thought at first this was just a problem with a particular broadcast as it was on a recording, but it has since happened on several live channels and even the on demand services. I did spend half an hour changing channels and using the different on demand services and found that some channels were not changing volume. I can't find the notes I made now (Doh!) but I can repeat if anyone thinks that will help.

It's connected to my TV with an HDMI lead and all the other inputs to the TV don't vary in volume, so I can't believe it's the TV.

I also can't find any settings along the lines of "automatically keep my volume balanced" or anything like that that might be wrong.

Oh yes and the software is up to date.

If no one else is having this problem then I'm going to have to return it as faulty and I really don't want to have to do that.

Any ideas would be fantastic or if you need more info.

Cheers
    Jim

| Thu 12 Sep 2013 8:24:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

woka77

I'm having the same problem with sound going up & down on it own. Is there anyway this can be fixed

Thx

| Sun 13 Oct 2013 18:23:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Had my 1000S since launch with no volume problems, I have it set permanently at 45 and the TV at about mid-point and usually perfect. I've noticed recently that on some channels (usually the BBC ones) I have to turn the vol up at times. Thought it was me but my wife agrees so I think it's a broadcaster problem.

| Sun 13 Oct 2013 20:29:57 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Had my 1000S since launch with no volume problems, I have it set permanently at 45 and the TV at about mid-point and usually perfect. I've noticed recently that on some channels (usually the BBC ones) I have to turn the vol up at times. Thought it was me but my wife agrees so I think it's a broadcaster problem.

Any DD 5.1 (HD Channels) will be controlled by the TV as the sound is encoded within the HDMI signal.

| Sun 13 Oct 2013 20:57:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jim.hobday

Thanks for the anecdote, but if you read the original post, it's nothing to do with the broadcaster. It happens on the "listen again" functionality like iPlayer so must be due to the Humax box software/hardware.

Cheers

| Sun 13 Oct 2013 21:23:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

jim.hobday - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the anecdote, but if you read the original post, it's nothing to do with the broadcaster. It happens on the "listen again" functionality like iPlayer so must be due to the Humax box software/hardware.
    Cheers

If the sound-mix in a program is low volume then that would reflect into the OD version.

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 8:41:36 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

OP you say the volume goes up and down on its own, do you mean that the actual volume indicator is changing on its own or just what you hear?
    I have my box set at 100% and use the TV volume control as I'm using a one for all remote.
    Some channels are louder than others, and also I find that the likes of BBCiPlayer and the radio channels are much louder than the live tv channel broadcasts.
    I'd assume this is just how they're all encoded and not an actual fault with the box.

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 10:30:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jim.hobday

As I said in the original post "No I'm not sitting on the remote and no I can't see the on-screen volume indicator changing"

I know that some channels broadcast with volume levels louder or quieter than others - relative to each other. I'm not talking about changing channels.

What I'm talking about is the volume changing whilst you watch one channel without any interaction from me. The volume indicator doesn't change. After a few minutes the volume gradually drops by about 30% (I'm guessing) and so I turn the volume up. Then after another few minutes it gradually goes up again. Repeat till annoyed.

It's not a sudden change like a loose connection and there is no white noise or crackling. It's quite subtle.

It was happening again yesterday as I was watching a recording of Channel 4's 8 out of 10 cats. As a test, I then watched some live channel 4 and the same thing was happening.

As I said before, when I extensively tested several live channels and catchup services some did and some didn't. Doesn't appear to be any pattern. I don't even know if it's the same channels each time.

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 11:03:29 #8 |
  9. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

How do you normally adjust the volume, via the tv or the box? What make and model of TV is it?
    Also would your tv have and an Auto Volume control which maybe causing the issue? My tv has an Auto Volume which equalizes the volume level by itself. I've got mine switched off as I found it useless.

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 11:39:33 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jim.hobday

I trained as a general engineer (electronics, electrical and mechanical) and I've been a software engineer for over a decade now, so I'm fairly sure that I've eliminated all the other things that might be causing this and narrowed it down to the Humax box software or hardware.

My TV is also the display for a Media PC, a Wii and a DVD player. None of them have this volume behaviour. The Media PC also uses an HDMI cable and I have systematically tried changing all the cables. The TV does have a fancy "stable sound" volume normalisation setting but that is off.

My powers of deduction lead me to think that if I don't get this behaviour on any other TV source and the cables are fine then it has to originate from either the Humax or the signal.

I see the problem when playing back recordings, live and on catch up services like iPlayer.

If it were the signal, then that would explain why live and recorded video has the changing volume.

But surely if iPlayer does it as well, then that is independent of the transmission. It's the playback, which is down to the Humax software or hardware.

Is my logic sound? (I know - bad pun)

| Mon 14 Oct 2013 11:58:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.