My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1100s Not starting

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

I have had my 1100s box now for 2 weeks.
    Whilst it works fine it has on 2 occasions failed to switch on.
    Both times I have used the on button on the remote.
    The first time it happened the red light went off when I switched off, and nothing else happened.
    I then switched on and off a couple of times and it came on. (With the red light responding by going red after the off was pressed)
    Yesterday when this happened the red light was coming off during what was the off time but as before no video out put and no blue lights where appearing.
    This time I had to remove the power lead and wait a couple of seconds, whereupon it worked again.
    Is this something that has been seen before by anybody else and is there a fix or is a return to Currys?

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 11:12:59 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Not witnessed similar with my unit.

Was going to ask how it reacts using the power button on the unit and not the remote, but to be honest, having read your post a few times I think I would reject the unit as faulty and get it exchanged at Currys before the holiday period.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 11:36:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

I have written to Currys as I bought this on line at Ebay, so awaiting a reply now.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 12:00:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

Out of interest I have just timed the boot up , which is from pressing the button to the channel video and sound being available for the TV.
    Mine takes 44 seconds, is that usual. The BT vision box was more or less instant.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 12:34:44 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Around 37 seconds to picture and audio on TV.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 14:34:49 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Hamishrock - 2 hours ago  » 
    Out of interest I have just timed the boot up , which is from pressing the button to the channel video and sound being available for the TV.
    Mine takes 44 seconds, is that usual. The BT vision box was more or less instant.

To quote from an review of the BT vision+ box.

"Instead of leaving the hard disk spinning permanently, the new version actually has a standby mode that involves more than merely changing the colour of the status LED from blue to purple. However, we were disappointed to find that even with the hard disk powered down, the box still drew almost 12W in sleep mode.

This is poor compared to many PVRs including Humax's PVR-9300T, which uses just 1W in standby. There's a 'low power/off mode' which consumes 1W, but this is largely pointless as it doesn't allow the box to wake up to make recordings and won't respond to the remote control to power it back on."

Source: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/49298/bt-vision-review

Current Humax models conform to EEC requirements for a set-top box standby mode power consumption of <0.5w.
    The extra consumption I estimate at 75KW p.a. which amounts to about £7.20 p.a.

| Fri 18 Dec 2015 15:00:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

Currys have replied and asked I send it back by mail. I would have rather swooped it in store, as the return or the delivery is likely to get stuck over the Christmas break.

I do have 14 days to take them up on this, and I spent time yesterday evening turning it on and off with no problems, so I will see if it happens again before sending it back.

The extra consumption I estimate at 75KW p.a. which amounts to about £7.20 p.a.

I think I would rather spend the £7.20 a year to have instant "on", but not if was at the expense of the disc controller which went faulty in a previous 1010 machine, just out of warranty.

| Sat 19 Dec 2015 10:57:16 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.