My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

2000 or 4000?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Al999

Hello and thank you for accepting me onto the forum.

I am looking to replace my ageing and increasingly unreliable 9300T with something a bit more modern (and HD!).
    I've done as much research as I can and this forum has been a great help but I'm still confused about a few things and hope you can assist.

I'm not particularly bothered about too many 'Smart' functions, the TV can look after that aspect but one thing I would like to do is be able to copy recordings onto a USB drive in a format that can be transferred to a PC or tablet. I realise that isn't going to be possible with HD programmes and that's fine. If I understand the FAQs here it can be done with the current 4000T but is that the case with the 2000T?

I've seen the complaints about the user interface on the 4000T and, looking at the manual, it seems that the recorded programme listing is in the form of thumbnails. Is that the case? No simple text list? Is the 2000T the same?

I've also seen comments elsewhere about problems with the sound on the 2000T. It it a real problem? And if so has it been fixed?

I think the bottom line is that I want to buy the 2000T but being able to copy unencrypted SD programmes to USB stick is important. Having three tuners in the 4000T would be nice but not essential and could I live with the poor UI, the dreadful looks and the choice of two shades of brown?

So: Given my requirements, is if the 2000T or 4000T?

| Wed 9 Mar 2016 16:34:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Al999 - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Is the 2000T the same?

The HDR-2000T is interface is very similar to the earlier HDR-FOX T2 and I find it clear and simple to use.

I've also seen comments elsewhere about problems with the sound on the 2000T. It it a real problem?

We see the problem once or twice a year which we can live with. I suspect that whether you experience the problem will depend on the make and model of TV you are connecting to.

I think the bottom line is that I want to buy the 2000T but being able to copy unencrypted SD programmes to USB stick is important.
    So: Given my requirements, is if the 2000T or 4000T?

With the HDR-2000T you can copy SD programs to a USB stick and this will remove the encryption; it is a bit slow but something that up to now we have not used a great deal. The 4000T has options for getting content off via the network interface. I would suggest buying an HDR-2000T on-line so you can evaluate it for a week and send it back if you don't like it.

| Wed 9 Mar 2016 17:31:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have both.
    They both have their faults but to be absolutely honest, I wish I hadn't bought the 4000. I had hoped it would be an upgrade but three tuners isn't something I have used much and with the repeats so frequent it isn't really necessary, so apart from interfacing with my Sony tv effectively which my 2000 had problems with, its actually, in my opinion a step backwards in user friendliness, most especially the remote and the epg.

| Wed 9 Mar 2016 19:12:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have copied lots of SD programmes off my 2000T onto a USB thumb drive and found the files play quite readily either on a computer or on my SMART TV using the USB port on that.

It is a bit slow copying but what I do is select the programmes for copy at bedtime then when I get up in the morning the files are waiting for me.

It's not the most glamorous machine on the aesthetics front but it does do what it says on the tin.

| Wed 9 Mar 2016 22:36:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Al999

Thank you for all the helpful replies.
    It seems that for my need the 2000T has no real drawbacks whereas the 4000T could be disappointing in some respects. So, taking Martin Liddle's advice the 2000T is ordered online and due for delivery tomorrow.

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 19:14:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would suggest buying an HDR-2000T on-line so you can evaluate it for a week and send it back if you don't like it.

Actually doing the above will put you in breach of the CCR which state you can examine a product though not use it. Some companies are stating that simply switching on constitutes use and are refusing to accept returns for a refund.

This confusion will not be cleared up until there has been a test case in the County Courts.

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 23:05:41 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.