My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

2000T iplayer causes crashes 2 years on

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Why oh why oh why does this machine still continue to infuriate me with it's constant instabilty, even happening with the replacement machine Humax sent me. In fact, it's even worse than the last one.

I enter the tv portal for iplayer and I get random crashes with the machine tripping and going into re- boot mode thus losing any recordings that are in progess. So basicly I cannot use the tv portal if I have any recordings in progress as more than likely it will happen.

For me this is a useless machine.

| Thu 15 Sep 2016 23:55:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes its sat on my shelf and I dont have that satisfying feeling of a well made purchase. If anything its a feeling of tolerance until I think about what unit I will buy in future

Im putting up with the hard drive noise which is very loud, I dont want to go back to the shop who tried to do me over first time with a used/damaged unit plonked back in the box.

It freezes after doing a signal check and takes a while to let me back in. It needs rebooting twice if I ever switch it off at the mains or it wont recognise the hard drive functions.

Humax say I should swap it but Ive no idea if the next one will be quiet. I cant keep picking them up from a shop and returning them. This needed more hands on help from Humax. I will probably ask them again what they can do for me

Oh and I dont know what other unit appeals as I have always bought Humax PVRs. Im not sure I will buy another though

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 2:08:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

What do you mean by noise ? I get it making pretty low whirring noises which the old unit didn't do. When I told the Humax person who sent me the new unit my issue was worse he seemed uninterested. I will never buy Humax again.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 12:19:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

hubb - 14 hours ago  » 
    Why oh why oh why does this machine still continue to infuriate me with it's constant instabilty, even happening with the replacement machine Humax sent me. In fact, it's even worse than the last one.
    I enter the tv portal for iplayer and I get random crashes with the machine tripping and going into re- boot mode thus losing any recordings that are in progess. So basicly I cannot use the tv portal if I have any recordings in progress as more than likely it will happen.
    For me this is a useless machine.

Yep! mine does exactly the same and has done for as long as I can remember. I now use either my 1000s which is a much better behaved machine, Chromecast, or my smart TV. The Humax 2000T TV portal was something of an afterthought in my opinion and seems to have been abandoned by Humax some time ago.

You would be much better served by a dedicated streaming device e.g. Now TV box, Chromecast etc.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 14:20:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Yes, I have a Now TV box and it's reliable.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 20:12:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The 2000T works well enough as a PVR but that's all it should be used as IMO.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 23:16:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

hubb - 11 hours ago  » 
    What do you mean by noise ? I get it making pretty low whirring noises which the old unit didn't do. When I told the Humax person who sent me the new unit my issue was worse he seemed uninterested. I will never buy Humax again.

Hi

I dont mean the hard drive spinning which I can hear up close but its quiet enough. I wouldnt even mind a small fan even though this unit doesnt have one.

Its the annoying rasping or chuntering of the hard drive head as it moves across the disc and back. Ive never heard anything so annoying in a pvr and its also frustrating me that I see other people have reported the same noise problem in reviews...however others say its quiet enough which actually makes me more annoyed.

Whats really upsetting is that very few seem to know what Im referring to. I have never heard a noisier drive clickety clacking away

Its loud and I cant know if I have a louder unit then others. My personal view is that Humax know a bit about this but either face a full recall or they take their chances with getting them back out to the next customer.

I think Im going to pack it up and its going back. They have not suggested any options from Humax customer services other than saying take it back...no guidance no reassurance that the should or shouldnt happen.no guidance about head noise..just a friendly message saying damn all really.

So its going back even if I have to face the awful shop that firstly tried to palm me off with a used unit in a box

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 23:33:18 #7 |
  8. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

It it known if the HDR-2000T uses Seagate drives; Humax tends to use Seagates? I reason I am asking is that some of the green drives in the Western Digital range (WD is another manufacturer of AV drives) have a 'feature' called Intellipark which tries to park the heads regularly to save power. This is disabled in more recent WD green drives that are intended for AV use. The noise described from the HDR-2000T sounds like it could be due to repeated attempts to park the heads. It could just be a coincidence, of course.

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 3:45:36 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 7 hours ago  » 
    It it known if the HDR-2000T uses Seagate drives; Humax tends to use Seagates? I reason I am asking is that some of the green drives in the Western Digital range (WD is another manufacturer of AV drives) have a 'feature' called Intellipark which tries to park the heads regularly to save power. This is disabled in more recent WD green drives that are intended for AV use. The noise described from the HDR-2000T sounds like it could be due to repeated attempts to park the heads. It could just be a coincidence, of course.

Thats what I think but I would have the hassle and cost of swapping drives to a western digital to prove my point. I believe the Seagate drives used are trying to park the heads too regularly and are too noisy for purpose.

I would invalidate the warranty.

I am also having a rapid drop out signal on an HD band 54. There is a video on you tube of someone experiencing the same thing when their HD telly and another box works fine. I will get the reference if anyone is interested

"Humax HDR-2000T problem with HD multiplex" on YOU TUBE

So Im still trying to sort this unit or its going back under guarantee

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 11:12:16 #9 |
  10. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The Seagate drives don't tend to park the heads like I described, some WD ones do: every 8 seconds by default, but it is possible to disable this with a DOS utility called WDidle3. The disk would need to be removed and you are right that you would invalidate your guarantee by opening the unit. I was wondering if anyone had opened up a HDR-2000T: there must be some around that are no longer covered by warranties. I was wondering if it has a 3.5 or 2.5 inch disk, and the make and model of the drive.

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 11:48:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.